1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BASIC, Feb 24, 2004.

1. BASIC

BASIC Member

Hi guys.I'd like to get a Backrack for my 1999 F-350.I would like to mount rear facing and maybe side facing flood lights,1 or 2 strobes and/or LED's.Do you have any suggestions on what to use,combination,brand and model?Would any of the Backrack accessory mounts work or would I have to fabricate some.Thankyou for any help you may give,thanks,BASIC.
  2. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Hi I have a back rack with two star warning system lights, 2 back facing lights and it's real good.

On the back rack site they offer different mount types for lights.

I can get a pic if you want.
  3. BASIC

BASIC Member

bowtie_guy,sir,I've seen the Backrack site,thankyou for your kind offer though.I don't think I could use the Backrack mounts to mount rear and side flood lights as well as 2 strobes.I'd have to fabricate a mount or drill into the top crossmember.Thanks,BASIC.
  4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

http://community.webshots.com/user/fbronco72 heres some pics of my truck. I have 4 lights, 2 to the back, and 1 to each side. I used the spot light brackets they sell, but drilled another hole to mount an extra light. I also drilled another hole to mount the bracket. I didnt think one bolt could keep the bracket from moving.
  5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

6. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I put a backrack on my '03 250 super duty.I used 2 Hella round lights, i think model 550's.The rack has 2 plastic caps in the vertical posts that can be removed.I pulled them and ran the mounting bolt for each light through the holes.ran wiring down the vertical bars and under the truck.I use a magnet mount strobe from Whelen. When snow is coming the magnet sticks to the top bar of the rack and I run the cord through the sliding rear window.I found it is easiest. My reverse lights are switched so when loading a trailer I can turn them on, or when backing up.
  7. joethevacman14

joethevacman14 Member

This is what I plan on doing:

I plan on purchasing a BackRack and installing these oval LED flashers as seen in the pic below: http://www.awdirect.com/awdirect/ca...d=17147&secid=68&linkon=subsection&linkid=269

I plan on purchasing these brackets that bolt to the backrack to install the lights into: http://www.awdirect.com/awdirect/ca...mid=5954&secid=68&linkon=subsection&linkid=96

I will use this lightbar ($6 more that the highlighter gets you 115 more FPM, 22" length and a diamond mirror) In the link pic, there will be two lightbars, its the one on the left:

I am also toying with the idea of putting the smaller round LED's in the sides of my tool box for side warning as seen here with the oval LED's:

I also plan on having these floods (2 to front, 2 to back and maybe one to each side):

I thought about having a strobing dash light but I am told that that would be overkill......

I would recommend Federal Signal as that is one of the main brands everyone uses as well as Code3(PSE Amber) & Whelen (awesome products -- highly compareable to Federal Signal.)

If you want beacon strobes, I would recommend this one from Galls (1.6 million candle power = 16 joules = hella bright!!):

By reading a catalog for Star Warning Systems, it states that 100,000 CandlePower = 1 Joule.

Just my .30 cents. I hope it makes cents! If you would like me elaborate, PM me or e-mail me at jrw14493@charter.net
  8. joethevacman14

joethevacman14 Member

Forgot the pic (I need to get off this thing)

truk backrack.jpg
  9. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

Ever been driving down the street.... during a storm ... day or night and find it hard to see because of the angle of the snow falling or the guy in front of you with his truck lit up like a CHRISTMAS TREE !!!!!

Dont get me wrong guys...I'm all for safety and god knows there are alot of people on the roads during snow events that should be home watching tv, but dont you think these BLINDING halogens and blinking strobes hidden in the tail lights a bit over the top ?

Next time youre on the road when its coming down like crazy ... make sure no - ones around ya and turn off all your lights ....just for a few seconds.... you'll be AMAZED at how much more you can see.Remember years ago when tow trucks and cop cars had REVOLVING dome lights on thier vehicles ??

Cost me 20 bucks ..... I use it when Im backing up into traffic ... and while clearing the store lots during business hours. Other than that Its OFF.

Truck Manufacturers install safety lights in every vehicle...theyre called HAZARD lights.... they do the trick also.

Sometimes LESS is MORE .
  10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I wanted all the turnsignal and back up lights and such so I bought a fullsized light bar with all the turnsignal lights/brakelights/tail lights and jive built in. Its got "work lights" (rear facing 55w'ers) that I have wired into my reverse lights off a relay. Its mounted on a custom light bar I built.

I personaly prefer halogen rotators since they dont seem to reflect off the flying snow as bad.

Bought it from awdirect.com for a pretty good price. Its a federal signal unit.
  11. joethevacman14

joethevacman14 Member

Thats exactily why I am installing the rear facing LED flashers so I can turn my lightbar off to save power and eyes. PLus my lightbar pulls 9 amps and the LED flashers only pull .26 amps each!
  12. ratlover

from IL

.26 amps.....hell I could probably weld with the amps it takes to run all my warning lights LOL

I need to run switches to them so I can seperate em. Its on the to do list but right now its either full bore or nothing.
  13. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I have hide away strobes in the trucks reverse lights. I also have bright reverse lights on the back of the truck (under the rear bumper on each end) For the exra reverse lights all i have to do is flip a switch and shift to reverse to light them up. The hid away strobes i hardly ever use. I do residentials alot of them being family that live on side roads that arn't that busy. I have done a few parking lots (people we know) here and there and i use them if theres alot of people around. when i back from a drive into a busy street i usually don't even use them. You still have to yield to traffic in ALL situations and unless youre pushing snow into the street or backing a little ways into the street for clean up youre only using the plow in the driveway. So when youre backing out to leave why would you put your strobes on? just because you have a few extra feet on the front of your truck, nobody cares! Some plowers (not necessarily on this site) think that because there running a plow in a snow storm that traffic on the street is supposed to stop for them. It does not matter how much youre lit up you cant go backing into someone or go into the road with out looking.
  14. dluckett

dluckett Junior Member
    from SW Ohio

I have corner strobes and roof strobes but they are all switches seperately. With the front strobes on when I am plowing the light reflects off the snow and plow so bad that I can't see what I am doing. Really I don't use them as much as I see others do because no matter how bright you light you truck up you always have someone pack in the spot you just cleared as a launch area. How many of you find this to be true?
  15. ratlover

from IL

I dont run my lights in traffic all the time when the plow is on but I will run it when I feel it will improve saftey. I dont think that traffic has to get out of my way. But when driving down a narrow 2 lane county road or a narrow street I want people to see me and pay a bit more attention to the fact that I have a 9'6" hunk of steel on the front of my truck. That and so people notice me in lots when i am cutting accross a lot in a way traffic generall dosnt move. For my saftey, thier saftey, and because I dont have time to peel some honda off my plow and deal with the cops when I could be moving snow.
  16. f350dieselemt

f350dieselemt Member

I Use My Lights All The Time

I Dont Know What U People Are Talking About But When I Have The Plow On And I Am Pushing The Lights Stay On... I Have 8 Hidaways In My 99' F-350 4dr. 8' Bed Psd..safety Comes First
  17. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

My plow is 8'6" wide.. It is wider than most roads I drive one.. I will have my lights on 24/7 while plowing. I have $45,000 into my setup and I would like to keep it all in one piece.

Safety first... :nod:
  18. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Hey guys...just as a general FYI..Ebay has some good prices on lights. I'm looking at an AW catalog right now and the Whelen set up I bought last year would cost me about 150 beans more!!! There are some good, reputable outfitters on there.....BTW - It was a Whelen CSP690 w/6 strobe heads, 6 15ft wires, and a free switch...251.00 including shipping!!!! :redbounce
  19. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I will be installing some kind of additional warning light on the back of my truck so that when I'm backing out of a driveway near a blind turn I will provide some warning. I may even mount a couple of LEDs on the plow. Around here there are lots of places where visibility sucks.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I want a back rack but don't like the look of the mount and am also considering a cap.