1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

backrack question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Detroitdan, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Was wondering if anyone knows anything about swapping Backracks. I found one used for $50, is on a Dodge. Guy told me it's adjustable to fit any fullsize truck. Backrack website shows two different part numbers and says they aren't adjustable. I figure it should be close enough I can make it work, if not I can always resell it to a Dodge owner. Anybody swap one of these?

I'm just looking for something to mount a fullsize lightbar on, since putting it on my roof isn't a good option for me. I have an extended cab longbed, and I don't want to mount it to the upper doorframe because it will be too far forward. The back of the ext.cab roof has nothing to mount to (and I'm not carving holes in my roof!), so the Backrack seems ideal.
  2. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

I had the same question - I emailed "Backrack", they said YES it can be done BUT, you may need a hardware kit for $90.00 :dizzy:
  3. Detroitdan

Thanks. If I can't make it work I'm not spending $90.
  4. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

5. Detroitdan

I hate when kids jump in your lap and delete entire posts. So here I go again.

This backrack already has toolbox mount brackets on it. I'm wondering if that means it will be more of a universal type mount. I have a toolbox that mounts between the rails, so I don't need the mounts, guess it doesn't matter if they are on there or not. My toolbox sits pretty high because it's mounted on top of two lengths of 4x4 block to raise it up, and also so I can slide 4x8 sheets under it if I need to. So the brackets wouldn't interfere with anything.
  6. Detroitdan

Picked it up today. Dimensions are almost identical across the bottom, so it will fit with no problem. Looks good but I may paint it anyway. I guess they are powder coated from the factory, but it's got surface rust in a couple places where the black rubbed off. Now I just need to get a fullsize light bar to mount on it, and figure out if I want worklights or something up there.

Fifty bucks, what a deal. A good day for me, even got to ogle the three first-generation Camaros the guy had in his garage. Sweet.