1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backrack question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The Boss, Feb 9, 2004.

1. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I just put a toolbox on my truck last week and I'm planning on buying a Backrack soon. My question is this: Will I have to move the toolbox back from the front of the bed or will it install where the box currently sits.Thanks for any help.:waving:

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I have a back rack, and the side brackets might be in the way. They mount about 6" from the front of the box on the side rails. If you like i can take some pics and try and post them or post them to my site. :D :D

3. The Boss

Thanks. I wonder if there's a way I can fabricate a new mount for the side brackets to keep the toolbox in the existing place?:confused:

4. 04superduty

You might be able to move the tool box up slightly, raising it above the rack mounts. The rack need the supports to keep it from moving back and forth. You could make the supports for the back rack longer so it is a stronger mount to the truck. If you want i can still take pics. :D :D

5. 04superduty

6. The Boss

Thanks again!:waving: I think I have some ideas on how to fabricate something.:nod: :waving:

7. 04superduty

This summer I want to get a tool box, fuel tank combo from transfer flow. It mounts flush with the bed so i don't have to worry about the back rack. The only thing i might have to worry about it if i get a fifth wheel trailer. :D :D

8. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

Backrack makes a kit to install the toolbox right behind the backrack. I think it is like $45.00.

9. The Boss

Thanks BigDawg:waving:
    I'll definitely check that out.:nod:

10. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

When you order your rack tell them you need the toolbox mounting kit, the arms standard are 8" the toolbox brackets are like 20". I have that on my truck but my tool box overhangs about 8" anyway because I put the fuel tank between the toolbox and the front of the bed.

11. I am having the same problem finding a rack for my truck.I have weatherguard box and a custom fit bed cover so finding a rack that will fit in front of the box without shifting the box and cover back more than 1/2" is turning out to be a real problem.
    I need a rack to get my magnetic light off my roof and want to put work lights up there, so it also has to hold some weight.
    I have a friend that will custom build one for me but I am using that as a last resort. I would appreciate any imput that you guys could give me.
    Thanks , Kevin

12. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

As stated, Back rack makes a different mount- that consists of a c-channel in stead of angel stock along the bed. the result is a flat surface for your tool box which will sit up 2 inches higher.

I have back racks on all my trucks.