1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backrack painting

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by chevyzrule810, Feb 20, 2016.

1. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

My backrack is starting to rust so I'm looking to paint it.What is the best paint to use?Any help is much appreciated

2. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

POR is the best! Use it as a base coat then cover with a name brand!! It don't like UVs, but it will never rust again

3. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

Locally, we have a welding shop where you can drop it off, and they sandblast and powdercoat. It's very reasonably priced (last check it was a flat rate charge by weight of items) You might check to see what's in your area.

4. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

I prefer por 15. I used it on my previous set of push plates & it held t well.

5. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

First coat with POR 15 then cover with oil base rustoleum?

6. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Yeppers...looks as good as new !!

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

POR 15 fades and turns purple if you do not top coat it.

I use rustoleum with "Transstar super wet look" hardner and cut it with enamel reducer. I mix 8:2:1. Paint, hardner and reducer respectively. I even used it with a brush or a foam brush if you don't want to spray it. I just painted my lower A-frame last week with this and used a foam brush. It levels out and then hardens like hard candy.