1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backrack or Safetyrack

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lawn Care Plus, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

Which one do you have and why?

I was looking at getting the backrack but am shifting towards the safetyrack.

Tim

2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i have the backrack on my 03 i have some stobes and spot lights on it i like it....the safety rack is mesh type all across it and would protect youre back window a little better against smaller objects

3. Lawn Care Plus

I am going to get the safety rack, but the problem I am running into is mounts for the whelen gaurdian strobe and the antenna mounts. The company does not make the accessories for the safety rack as they do the back rack.

I could make the brackets myself but I do not have great tools to do so.

Tim

4. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

do you have a jigsaw and a drill?
    ....it isn't much more complicated than that.
    maybe some spray paint!

5. Lawn Care Plus

Cheap drill. I am going to check out the stock that Fastenal has and see if a friend has the tools to make some brackets.

Tim

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

The accessories fit both the safety and back rack.

7. Lawn Care Plus

You know, I asked the reps from two different companies, and could not get a straight answer.

Having said that, I do not think that the light bar brackets (L) are not worth $42.00 plus shipping and handling. Neither are the antenna brackets. So either way, I will see about making my own. Hopefully I do not waste time on making junk.

Tim

8. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I would think the safety rack would be a PIA. I hate anything disrupting my vision when looking reverse and the regular back rack is as much as I can deal with, the mesh would drive me bananas.

Cheers
    Jeff

9. Lawn Care Plus

That is a concern of mine also. And even moreso, since I have a crew cab. Especially when backing up plowing snow.

But then I look at the protection and think may be its better.

I haven't ordered yet, so we will see.

Tim

10. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

With a crew I would not go with the safety. Really if your even a little careful you will never break the glass with a regular backrack. I have never seen the back window smashed even without the back rack, the only reasons I got it was, they look cool, good for hanging lights and so that when I strap something to the back it doesn't scratch the glass.

Cheers

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I got mine for the same reason.....and i agree with your comment about it not being worth the $42 for the simple antenna mount....make it yourself.

12. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

You can find pre bent brackets at your local hardware store. They have many different styles and thicknesses avaliable. I got mine from Ace, 6x6 right angle 3/8 thick.

13. Lawn Care Plus

Thank you all for the input. I flipped and ordered the back rack with tool box adapter.

Once I make the light mount and antenna mounts, I will through some pix up.

Tim

14. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Good choice!! I think you'll really like that setup!!!

15. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

before i bought my weather guard ladder racks i was going to get the back rack...but thats what i would get if anything...

16. Lawn Care Plus

The Backrack in yesterday, and I installed it last night. It took all of thirty minutes.

Now to get the light, and mount the rest.

Tim