1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BackRack and other holes in over-rail bed liner?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Maine_Train, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

My '04 Silverado came with a TrailFX 11007X bed liner, the kind that covers the top rails on the box. I like it so far, but I'm kinda wondering how to go about accessing the stake pockets. I'd like to put a BackRack on the truck some day, as long as the bed liner and the rack will coexist nicely. I might even want to be able to use the rear stake pockets, too.

I figure some careful surgery with a drill and then a 'cip saw will open up the holes, but I want to be sure that's not a really dumb idea that will let moisture get between the liner and the box. I think any water coming in via the newly-opened holes would go straight through and onto the lined floor ("weather side") of the box, but I thought I'd get some input here first.

Whaddya think?

2. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Water is going to get under your plastic bed liner no matter what you do. That is why they have drain holes in the bed of every truck. I don't see why you couldn't cut out the stake pockets.

3. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Now that you mention it, that's one of the arguments that the companies who make "paint-on" type linings use. They say water will get trapped between a plastic "drop-in" liner and the metal box anyway. [​IMG]

I probably won't have a BackRack before May, anyway, so better weather should be here before I go breaking out the saw and other Implements of Destruction.

Thanks. :salute:

4. RobMI

RobMI Member

I just took a pair of tin snips and cut the liner to gain acess on my truck. Problem solved in a few minutes.