1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

backplow only ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 2 shot, Dec 27, 2001.

1. 2 shot

2 shot Junior Member

A question for you contractors...
    I sub for a local landscaping contractor in the
    winter with my 96 chevy 2500 - 8.6 western
    but I also own a 2001 dodge 1/2 ton
    My question is would it make sense to
    buy a backblade for the dodge and only run that.
    It sounded like a good idea to me as the backblade
    wouldn't be as hard on the truck as a full sized
    front mounted plow. The contracts he has are
    mostly associations with about 300 drives total.
    A tailgate mounted spreader could also
    be used to make the truck more usefull???

Just wondering what you guys think

Thanks for any answers and thanks for a
    great site to those who make it possable

:D ;) :D
  2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Once you drag all of the snow out of a driveway, are you going to be able to put it where you want it with only a rear blade? The only other consideration I thought of would be all of that weight focused behind the rear wheels if you put a spreader on it also.

Just some thoughts...
  3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Well I don't know what type of driveways you will be plowing but in my opinion, I think you will need the snowplow more than backblade. Why? If you only have a backblade, that mean you back up, packing down the snow, and then lower the blade and drag it forward, but where will you put it? If there is a pile, your truck will have to smash through it before the backblade could reach the pile. Generally, backblade is used to drag the snow in area where the snowplow can't reach, then when backblade is done dragging, the truck turn around, then push the snow with the snowplow to the pile.

With a contracts for 300 driveways, I think you will be better of with snowplow. Just put some ballast in the rear to help transfer some of weight from front to rear. Also it will help give you more traction.
  4. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

They make many lighter weight plows for the 1/2 ton series of trucks, for instance the Sno Way sounds like a good deal. That blade also has down pressure which might come in handy back dragging the driveways you are talking about.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Id definetley go with a front mounted sno way,a back blade is a nice extram,but i cant see it making enough money on it own to make it worth running the truck,wear and tear,and paying an operator in a storm,just to back blade.
  6. site

site Member

I love my new pull plow, but it would be virtually useless without the compliment of the front plow.
  7. GLS

GLS Senior Member

What do you guys think about those "c" plows...it is hinged toward the bottom so you can fold the upper moldboard down and backdrag with down pressure. Check out hiniker.com. Looks like it might work well but I don't know, what do you guys think?
  8. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

It might work, but I have heard many bad things about Hiniker and I don't think it will work with 1/2 ton Dodge truck.
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

first off the plow is too heavy for the 1500,and the plow's durabilty has been spotty at best from what has been posted here.
  10. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

The Dodge will handle any 71/2 ft plow. If you only have a back drag, what do you do with the snow? You can't just drag it to the middle of the street and wait for the Gov plows to remove it. Anyways if you put on a front plow ( Any Brand) you've got a back up for your other truck, and if you already own the truck, hire a buddy or get the wife into plowing and sub both trucks!
    Plowing is only as hard on the truck as the operator!

11. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I used to be sold on pull plows, however now i have a mixed views.

We used to use 4 of them, down to 1. After last winters record breaking snow, things got too tight, for the extra lenghts of the pull plow.

We built some back drag plates, that perform almost as well, as the pull plows. Now our pull plows are being used on tractors, that are working in lots.

12. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

i have seen the "Hinky-Dink" c-plow, and my opinion is what happens when you bend or brake something. now you have a piece of crap that is no use to you when its snowing. i believe in the traditional,straight blade,pull plow, or v-plow. I know some people love them and had not had any problems..yet. I think hiniker is trying out a new toy to sell more plows. i would enjoy to read some feed back from others who have some expierence w/ the c-plow. still really bored,need snow,need some cash, PT.:confused:
  13. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Nope won't work. Last nite i blew my western pump... relied on the back plow to finish the houses. it is almost impossible to pull a whole driveway without getting stuck in it. You can bank with it if you try real hard but it's a pain in the butt. How can u mount a salter with it ? The plow sticks 2&1/2 feet off the back of the truck.

14. #1 plowtech

earthscapes, what happened to the western pump? in detail if you would. thanks PT.
  15. Earthscapes

from WNY

while i was plowing, i would raise it and it would drop by itself. kept playin with it and it would stay up if i didn't angle it. That happened about 1pm with 40 drives left. At about 3pm while i was running back through the beginning of my route,, the plow started turning super slow. it would go up fine just took forever to turn. So naturally i checked the fluid and that was fine. So i kept plowing and then it was getting very slow going up. So i still kept plowin and eventually it just stopped working.This was Friday while WNY was shut down. So on Sat. i called everybody in the phone book and one guy said bring it over. He thinks it's the pump, but while he was looking at it for 4hrs. i found a place that had a new complete unit. For $1100 i am back in business. I have the old one and when i get time i'll put a new pump in it. Funny thing is the pump was brand new 2 weeks ago when i changed the motor. Oh well i love the new one it's super fast.
  16. #1 plowtech

if the plow drops by itself, or when you angle it is not the internal pump. it could actually be alot of "other things". as far as the the pump being 2 weeks old; really the only thing that would trash the pump is a bad ground. make sure your ground goes DIRECTLY to the plow motor itself. if it doesnt, you may have a bad ground and it tries to ground itself between pump shaft to motor. 1 customer ruined his in 1 night of plowing. When you get a chance , how old is the plow?, when you angle all the way to left and right, do the "stop blocks" on quadrant hit the a- frame? the better or you have a problem that will repeat. let us know, thanks pt.
  17. Earthscapes

from WNY

the plow was new in 92' the stops work fine. I personally feel that the problem is in the valves. Thats why i grabbed my old pump from this guy and headed for the high road. I have an extra internal pump in the shop, actually it's the old one that was in it. There was nothing wrong with it, i just heard that the new pumps made the old blades faster. I'll play with it later this week and let you know what i find out. And yes the motor is grounded to the battery.

EMERALD LAWN Junior Member

The Hiniker C plow is AWESOME we just got one this Fall and love it had one storm with 17 inches of snow first 4 inches was wet soup the rest was heavy did 165 drives no problums it out performed my new773 Bobcat with a 90 inch buckit vary fast and ez to use If it was to brack down we would fix it ASAP just like all the outher quality equpment out on the market.:D