1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backpack blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chrisby316, Jan 9, 2003.

1. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

This morning we went out and had to clear about an inch of dry powder, so instead of shoveling we used backpack blowers. I was kinda doubtful about how effective it would be, but it worked wonders. since it was just powder it blew right off and left the walks DRY! this was very nice b/c we didn't have to salt the wlks when we were done. anyways just wondering if anyone else has tried this.
  2. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

We us backpack blowers on the walks too when it's fluffy powder snow, we've blown 2" of powder before with no problem. It's much quicker than shoveling it off.
  3. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

We started using them last year and have worked in snow up to 3 inches if it is real light. The only downfall is the noise. I have some commercial lots that are close to residential areas and I had to quit using them in the early A.M hours. Now we don't use them on any residential areas until after 7:00 A.M. One thing to watch is the throttle cables, we had problems with them freezing because of the blowing snow melting from engine heat and refreezing.
  4. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

thanks for the advice on the cable i will have to keep an eye on that.
  5. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

We used our backpack a few times when we had light powder, worked great until my guy forgot to secure the blower in the truck, went around a corner, and the machine smashed into a thousand pieces :realmad: