1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backing plates for 78' 1 ton dually

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gamfa, Jan 6, 2004.

1. gamfa

gamfa Junior Member

Can someone tell me if the rear backing plates on the 78 1 ton rear with the 13"x3 1/2" brakes are the same as those on the 1985 1 ton w/13"x3 1/2"? Does anyone have the GM part number for the 78 plates? I have the ones for the 85 plates.

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

From all the info I have the parts from 77-86 will interchange. Comparison upon removal and installation would be advised.

3. gamfa

gamfa Junior Member

I would check for a match before installing as a normal course. My problem is that I not sure what year the rear end is from. It has an "assembled from parts" title. The frame is a one ton frame. I've checked that with other C-30 and 3500 frames. The engine is an 82 6.2 diesel. The SM 465 I believe to be 80 or older only because of the back-up light switch that was in it. The NP-205 does not have a 4x4 light switch in it that I can find but I know it doesn't have one at the location that the 85 NP-205 does. The dually rear I believe to be 78 (or older) only because the locking system for the bearing lock nut that was on the spindle was the type used in 78 and older. I bought brake shoes for a 78 and they match what were on the truck. The truck was converted to 4x4 but does not have a Dana 60 front axle but it is 8 bolt so I have no idea what it is.

I've found a site that sells orig. GM parts that has the 85 plates for $32 and change each but you have to know the GM part no. to search for the part. I've got a copy of the Government CD of all the parts and maint. manuals on the mid 80's Army 3/4 and 1 ton srw and dually GM trucks and used that number to search. I hate to mail order it and it not match. It might be a hassle to return it.

I thought I might get by with the current plates but the raised areas where the shoes ride are gouged out bad. I thought I might be able to smooth them out a little with a grinder and file but if I could get new ones for $65 or so I would probably go that way. Any suggestions or possibly the 78 part number??