1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backing plate issue. Where to get one?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sn95vert, Sep 1, 2010.

1. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

My backing plates are rubbing against my rear rotors and are starting to rot on my 01 superduty. Ford wants 300 a side and the only other place that has it (napa) has a national back order til november. I'm thinking about cutting some of it off until I can get it from napa. is there anywhere i can get them besides Napa? I really dont feel like paying $600 from ford for 2 pieces of metal.

2. fatcat2929

fatcat2929 Junior Member

rockauto.com

3. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

That was the first place I tried. Rockauto does not sell them.

4. ABsnow

ABsnow Member

I have the same problem. Fix it now because as it gets worse, the e-brake starts to drag and eventually lock up while driving down the expressway in my case. I researched it a little and found that for another $50 or so per side you can buy the entire assembly and save yourself the hassle of disassembling then reassembling the thing. But yes, I think I was quoted around $500 for both assemblies. My fix: adjust the e-brake out so it stops dragging for now. Did not find anyone other than Ford selling them.

5. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

mine rotted off about 1 yr ago on both trucks i just ripped them off! did not want to pay what for wanted! trucks are autos and chock blocks are cheaper good luck

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Get the part numbers and hopefully who manufactures them. I found that medium and heavy duty truck, drive train part places have a lot of theses parts. I have got "dealer only" parts at these places for 2/3's or less of what a Ford Stealership wants. Spicer and Dana makes a lot of parts for most trucks in this country. If they don't have them they may be able to order them. Or turn you on to some one that can get them. Get a 4X4 mag and call the axle builders that have ads in the back. Talk nice and sound poor they might give up the source for their parts. I been playing this game with Ford for like 30 years. So I have learned a few tricks. Dad taught me a few too. Picking peoples brain can be an art and they don't even realize it's happening.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I forgot to mention. Find someone that works a parts counter at a Ford Dealer. I have a Buddy at one on the parts desk and my Wife works part time at another. I get their 24% discount on parts if I really need them NOW or it's the only way to order them.