1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backhoe vs Loader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dirtyscag, Dec 14, 2011.

1. dirtyscag

dirtyscag Senior Member

Right now we have a 87 cat it12 69hp and 1.4 yard bucket and a 12 foot protech backhoe pusher i love pushing snow with it but, we will be looking to add to the fleet soon and i was wondering how a 580 case super L or a backhoe around the same size would matchup? As far as being able to push?
  2. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

My opinion is backhoes are not great pushers. I used to rent a Cat hoe for my 12' Avalanche and if it was slick it would just spin even in 4wd. I can't speak for wheel loaders but from what I see they work a ton better. I was told Cat hoes are the worst pusher also so a Case or Deere or some other brand may do a better job. I wasn't impressed to say the least.
  3. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Case 580sl will handle a 12' pusher just fine, on the heavy snow you will snow down a bit and just use the pedal and a little less steering wheel than normal. Overall they are great if you have a use for them in the summer. And you will find a use for it one way or another.
  4. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

I have both. The 12ft pusher on a 100hp terex it works well. I have 14 and 16ft pushers on wheel loaders and they work great also. But they weigh twice as much. It depends on how far you are pushing snow. The guy that spinning the wheels alot. I run 3rd gear. It will almost lug all the way down without spinning out
  5. mike ward

mike ward Member

i would think that loaders can cycle more quickly more important the shorter the run. We have a 12' artic on a 906 and it is great.

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

IMO the advantages a loader have over a backhoe is weight and articulation. The wetter and heavier the snow the better advantage the loader will have. The articulation of the loader helps it maintain traction and pushing power around corners. The size of the loader the OP has is barely bigger than a 14' class backhoe (Case 580; Cat 416/420; Deere 310 etc) and actually has less HP. On straight pushes the loader will not really have a performance advantage. Any machine will spin if it's slick, and I doubt any of these backhoes will out traction the others unless they are equipped with some sort of traction control (which I've never heard of) or snow tires. On flat ground things can be manageable but both the loader and backhoe will slide around, often uncrontrollably, when it's slick and sloped. Chains or snow tires will help imensley but this is true for any machine.