1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backhoe vs. Excavator Controls

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Carriage House, May 20, 2011.

1. Carriage House

Carriage House Junior Member

How hard is it to convert 'backhoe' controls to excavator controls? At work I use a John Deere, electric over hydraulic and learned on it in 'excavator' controls. I purchased a '94 Ford/New Holland and that ofcourse is 'backhoe' controls. Is it as simple as switching hoses at the valve or should I just bite the bullet and force myself to re-learn. I've just gotten so use to the john deere it's like an extension of my own hands.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

don't quote me on this but it might be as simple as just changing hose ports not that it is very easy to switch things at the valve housing but that is all that you would need to do long as the lines are long enough. some machinces do have a switch to convert it one way or the other so i would sart there first.

i would go here and ask becaus there is more equipment guy on this site that could tell you fast .http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/index.php

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes,I believe what cat 320 said would be correct,if the Ford has jd.style backhoe controls,you probably just need to change the boom and dipperstick hoses on their respective valves.X2 though for HEF-I'm a member there--super mechanic there by Atco will get you straight.

4. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

just learn both

5. Carriage House

Carriage House Junior Member

Thanks guys... I'll look into it. It would be great if that's all it takes.

Cuban - Easier said than done. The difference is your right and left hand operate the main cylinders entirely differend. I've spent so many hours running the 'excavator' controls at work when I climb into my ford the hoe looks like it's having a seizure. What normaly is effortless, I now have to stop and think.

6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

It's all mind over matter.Even though my 410G hoe has a toggle switch to change style,I can still jump right into excavator mode and be proficient within an hour.It's really not that difficult if you're strong willed to adapt.When you're working out of the hall in the Operating Engineers Union,you would be expected to actually be proficient no longer than an hour to get used to your new rig.My Dad did it for over 35 years.

7. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

i would say learn both i know it can be hard, i have the mentality if i am on a backhoe it's jd controls and excavator its excavator controls it messes me up when someone has a backhoe switched to excavator controls.
    you should be able to just switch the hoses on the valve body though

8. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Switching hoses will probably be fine on an older machine. It may a different story for a newer machine. If the machine has load sensing/priority systems in place then you may create problems by switching valve functions. If this is the case with your New Holland then maybe you can get parts to change over by mechanical means. I'm sure that New Holland has parts to get you to either pattern.