1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

backhoe question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snowguy01, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

Hi we are looking to buy a backhoe and there is a case 580 4x2 for sale with a 10 ft pusher on it will it push snow or will it just get stuck and the other question is will it be able to stack snow or not please help, I dont want to jump the gun and buy it due to the fact it is a good price and hate it in the end,
  2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I used to have a 2wd backhoe with a puster and it was okay....I have 4wd with a 12 footer now.

If it s all you can afford or find go for it...but if you can find a 4wd I would do that.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I would go 4x4
  4. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

HI Snowguy. You will get terrible performance out of the 2x4 backhoe. It will push some light stuff but will almost not steer. It will not stack at all , as soon as you lift the pusher up the pile with a load of snow the rear tires will loose traction. It definetly will work for plowing if you have alot of patience, and will work better with a straight blade . Good Luck. doug
  5. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

I plow with a backhoe I use a case 580 super m series 2 4x4 I have a bucket and a basket on it it works good I wouldn't even try to push with it in 2x4 because it wouldn't do to great.But like said before if it is all you can afford then it will work o.k.It will stack fine as long as your not pushing up hill my old man used to only have 2x4 and I got used to it.
  6. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I would keep looking, We used a 4x2 to stack some piles and it took more time than it was worth.
  7. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

definitely hold off and find a 4x4. youll probably be kicking yourself after the 1st big push wishing you wouldve gotten the 4x4. youll save more time and frustration
  8. storm king

storm king Member

Gotta agree with the gang on this one , hold out untill you can find a 4x4 you will be much happier and way more productive.
  9. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a Heavy Equipment Operator 30 + Years...Go for the 4X4 the extra axle weight will help keep the front end down..4X2's are to light in the front.....
  10. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Go with the 4x4, you will only have regrets with the 2x4
  11. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

you can shovel walmart parking lot with enough shovels and enough time etc. will you like it?.....probably not.

i am not a backhoe freindly guy though.

backhoe's do multiple function's but don't excell in any catagory.......what i meanby that is' a trackhoe will out-dig one and a dedicated loader will out-load one.

i would wait for a 4X4 as well, the 2WD are somewhat challenged in any condition's.

Steering is a not the end of the world though....you can always use youre steering brakes but is still a PITA