1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backhoe Pusher

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by cold_and_tired, Feb 15, 2011.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Been calling around getting prices on 12' protech pushers but everyone seems to have sold their stock of them already. Most of the places I have called only have 14' models in stock.

Do you guys think a Cat 420E will handle a 14 footer or should I keep looking around for a 12?

The two models are very close in price and I think I can wheel and deal them down on the 14 foot to the price of the 12 foot. I just don't want to get too much box for the machine.

2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have ran a 420 in dirt but not in the snow. Compared to a deere it seamed a little underpowered. A JD 310 has about 10 more hp if I am not mistaken. I am sure it could handle a 14ft in light snow but in a heavy snow you may run into trouble. Remember a 14ft is also going to be less maneuverable. I would say keep hunting until you find a 12ft pusher but that is my opinion.
    Good luck on the hunt.
    Robert

3. cold_and_tired

Found a new 12 footer at a great price.

4. rob_cook2001

Snag it up. Are you looking at buying or renting the hoe?
    Robert

5. cold_and_tired

I'm just going to be renting for now. I don't really have a use for one over the summer. The Cat dealer is looking at putting together a seasonal lease for me next year. By that point, I should be using two backhoes, a skid and possibly a truck. My ultimate goal is not to need trucks.

6. rob_cook2001

Thats the way to go. Next year my plan is to have 2 skids and a farm tractor with a pusher.... I am sure my brother will want to stay in the truck though lol.

7. PlatinumService

PlatinumService Senior Member

do you do any salting?

8. cold_and_tired

I did but now I sub everything to a company that does it for about $20 a ton more than I can. I only use about a ton and a half per storm and it's a nice convenience for me. I was getting tired of loading my tailgate spreader with bulk sand/salt 5-7 times per storm anyway.

9. PlatinumService

PlatinumService Senior Member

just one less thing to go wrong on your dime, nothing wrong with that.

10. SRT

SRT Junior Member

get a 10 footer will handle the best