1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backhoe pusher

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by 04chevy2500, Nov 2, 2010.

1. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

This year im going to use my backhoe to push with. Used ss with pushers the last few years. Run 10 footers on the bigger machines. wondering what size you all would recommend for a Volvo BL 70. it is a 90 hp 10 ton machine. the pushes would be about 500 ft and straight. what size would you all recommend for this. It will be a bucket mount pusher. 12 or 14 foot? The machine will always be on site so the snow shouldn't build-up more than 3-4 inches max.

2. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

Quick thought for you, we had a twelve foot pusher on a small loader. The loader had a hard time pushing on the slop. We changed over to a poly edge from cuttingedgepoly.com and we were able to push with ease. It made a big difference. I'm not sure why, but I would imagine it had to do with the rubber acting like a squeegee and not sliding very well. I think we could handle a 14 with the poly edge now.

3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Seriously, how much do they pay you to sell poly edges?payup

On a more serious note, can you PM me with a price for 2 - 4' sections for my pusher?

OP: I would say 14 footer if you guys really stay on top of things. If you might get more than 4" on the ground, I would say go with a 12 footer.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  4. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

You said it weighs 10ton? If that is true a 14ft should not be a problem. That sounds heavy for a rubber tired backhoe, but I dont know the specs myself.

5. 04chevy2500

the machine weighs approx 20,000 lbs. we dont always get the fluffy stuff here so we will have many events that are heavy and wet.

6. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I would go with a 12ft to be safe. Like you said you usually keep up on it but If you had a big even that dumped fast the 14ft would suck with 6 inches of wet snow.
    Robert

7. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Come on, he is the P.E.P. Poly Edge Pimp LOL I think 50% of his post have a link to that site.
    Robert

8. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

I wish they would pay me! I have used them to switch most of our equipment over and love their crap so I don't mind plugging for them. In our industry it's hard to find a dealer that treats you right! I found that our last dealer was selling us thin metal edges so they would burn faster and we would need to buy more often. The general manager told me that after he left. I don't know what two 4' sections are going for. You would need to call them.

9. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

RU stalking me Robert? I'm feeling a little creeped out here!!!:help:

10. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I highly recommend a 12 foot, you are talking about a backhoe not a loader. We have two backhoes and thats the size we use. Actually we use extendable pushers so its anywhere form 8 feet to 12 feet depending on the type of snow. Your going to love working with the backhoe.

11. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

I run 10 footers on my two case 580 super m,s they work great they could handle twelve ft but I like the ten better because on bigger storms it is easier on the machine but it all depends on the lots and the distance you need to push.

12. 04chevy2500

thank you all for the responses. the reason im asking about the 14 is because im going to be able to get in a really good trade, about half the value so i am getting a very good deal. another thought is to take the trade and then bring that to my local dealer and trade it back in on a 12.