1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backhoe Pricing for Snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cat320, Sep 23, 2000.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I just got a machine that i can put on the road and really wanted to know what every one else get for pricing them.It's a '97 580L 4X4 1yd bucket.How would you price it by the hour for big lots or if small just qoute a price for the whole thing or do by the hour with a min time.I was figureing for snow removal about $75-80 per hour is that a good range for that size machine?

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Bid on a lot like you would any other job. The difference is with the hoe, it will go quicker. The only time i use an hour rate is when relocating or hauling snow.

Geoff

3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Geoff, but don't just use the bucket. Get a pusher for it and make it fly.

We price 'per push' jobs as if we are using plow trucks, and then put loaders with pusher on the site to increase efficiency (and profits).

There are some accounts that you have to do by the hour if you want them (Home Depot is a prime example). If so, and with a pusher, the rates must rise dramatically to cover the increased efficiency of the unit.

This subject should generate alot of responses.

4. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

When I have to do hourly work with my Hoe and loaders I charge an extra $40 per hour for the pusher.That gets my big loader up at around 140/per hour.Ive got a great story about this,we do the airport, we got our pusher and they were not on the bid sheet but I billed for them anyway. Well it just about gave the city guy a heart attack to see that hourly price so we had to quit using them.So now it takes us 4 times as long as before to push the snow out from between 3 sets of hangers and of the apron.Cool for me but shows lack of understanding of the power of the pusher.

5. John Allin

Unfortunately, that's more the norm that most might think. It's a shame that they don't let us do our job. We can save them lots of money if they would just listen and trust that we are just a bunch of yahoo's that can't find real jobs.

6. mike48114

mike48114 Junior Member

hourly $ for big machine

We charge $95 per hour for moving piles of snow with a mochine simaler to yours. However normal plowing with you machine should be bid just like everything else. Keep in mind it is a more costly machine but it will take less time. we plow quote aprox 100 per hour with truck of big machine

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Thanks for all the
    info guys.I saw those ProTech Pushers and was thinking of putting one on but was not sure that they would be better than a regular plow set up.One other question would i need chains for it if i did put one on it.

8. mike48114

mike48114 Junior Member

No chains would be needed!!! if you use them you might do more damige than good!!!!

9. John Allin

Only if you want to get into the pavement repair business......

10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

ok that answers that question you guys use more front end loaders which i wish i had asmall komatsu 120-180 would be great for the lots in my area but getting one used is inpossable most are in tought shape and then the ones that arn't cost big$$$. what size is good for those pushers should i stay at 10' or go bigger for my 580?

11. John Allin

You should probably call Pro-Tech.

1-888-PUSH SNO

I have a brochure I can fax you.

Send me an email in the next hour and I fax you what I have.
    john@allinco.com

I'm leaving the office at 2 P M, so do it now, or wait until Tuesday - or Call Pro-Tech.

12. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I have said this in another thread but one thing about wheel loaders, to get optimum performance out of them they really need some sort of locking differential or at least limited slip.The last loader I bought was ordered with traction control but if you are not buying new they are hard to find.We have used a Komatsu 180 and Cat 928s without, they are certainly not unstoppable unlike the John Deere which many come standard with locking diffs up front and the available rear lockers,the 544b we used to have was unstoppable.My point for saying this is many times our tractorhoes will push more because their front wheels both spin and also you can step on the rear lockers and get alot of wheels spinning.We get a little less snow in Iowa as far as quanity per snow and have used 14ft protechs on our tractor hoes but with 8 to 10 inches the are pushing the limit of their capabilities.I fact we now return one of our leased tractorhoes now in the winters and replace it with a 928.So if you get alot of quanity for snow I belive a 12ft is what protech recomends for the tractorhoes.A side queston, has anyone ever made a weight that could be quicktached in place of the rear bucket on a tractorhoe

13. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

Here's what we charge

I have a 97 580sl 4x4, and I quote it from 100-125 per hour for snow work, including travel time. I put a license plate on it so we can drive it on the road any time. $75 is good for the hoe digging well lines or trenches. Sit in it for 8 hours doing snow, and you'll want to get a little bit more. Let the other guys charge $75, and run around like chickens with their heads cut off every time it snows. For $100-125 you can service a good bunch of customers without sacrificing quality. We usually provide the loader service for our established clients and also for other landscapers with guaranteed jobs.

This year maybe we'll put a pusher box on the big loader, but the 580's fine up and down Route 1 with the 1 yard bucket. In and out of restaurants, banks, small retail stores, etc. Sometimes we plow with it instead of trucks and it works out to more than the 125/hour.

As far as used loaders go, I'm not sure about the Komatsu, but we're working on a Samsung SL120 - 2.5 yard machine. I've been renting to own (soon). I know that they are available for reasonable prices because now Volvo owns them and Samsung will be out, but for us, its perfect, less money up front, someone else takes the hit for initial depreciation, and we end up with a good machine. If you are serious I'll see how many my dealer has left (maybe 1 or 2). I really think you should run the 580 for a season to get a feel though.

[Edited by SLSNursery on 09-26-2000 at 01:21 AM]

14. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Unless you live in Erie county, PA, why would you want to plow by the hour?

We charge hourly for moving piles and such.

But at 5:00am after 5" of snow that ended at 2:00am, no hourly $ can accurate represent the value of most of your equipment.

cat320,

I know it's been said before, but RUN - don't walk - to get a ProTech (or Avalanche) 14-16' on that unit.

15. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Mr. Allin,

I just now read that's you're from Erie Co., PA

I've read your articles in the trade publications, thank-you for your contribution to the industry.

Glad to have your valueable input as part of this forum!

16. John Allin

Thank you for the kind words.

And, in Erie we do very little by the hour - 'per push' is where the profits are at. Some contracts you have to take by the hour if you want the work (Home Depot is a prime example of by the hour, or nothing - however, we find that Home Depot wants service and is willing to pay for it).

Also, skip the "Mr" thing. I'm just like you, and not all THAT old to require the "Mr" title.

17. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

SLS I just got my 580l and want to put a plate on it What do you have it registered for wieght wise.and do you need to get that safty sticker on it .I have never had to put one on the road before and i am woundering about how involed it is.(I know they sound like stupid questions)Thanks

18. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I have a 580K 4wd Case... I charge out at no less than $150.00 an hour

I get $80.00 /hr for my 1/2 to 3/4 ton plow trucks

19. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

SLSNursery-

How do you get a plate for a piece of construction equipment? i'm getting my permit in april so i'm starting to wonder about some of these things. i just checked the dmv's for ct and it says anyone can use drive a piece of construction equipment =). I might get a backhoe if i get a good price on one, or get an account next winter for a big lot.

thanks,

bryan

20. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Ok If the piece of construction equipment is driven or used, to work on an existing road, it must be registered (at least in maine). I often work on existind roads, there for my backhoes, loaders, exevators, tractors are all registered. However I believe to opperate the equipment over the road, you must have a vaid licence. Unless you are operating a piece of farm equipment, used for farm work.

Geoff