1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backhoe or Loader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FISHERBOY, Mar 28, 2008.

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Just wondering what to rent for next season, i'm bidding on a large lot that is going to require a machine with a pusher, but rental fee is an issue its 1200 a month for the backhoe :angry: and 2250:angry: for the loader just wondering on which way u guys would go.
  2. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

As far as a parking lot a 4x4 backhoe will do good. A bit less grunt than a loader but the money savings you might be able to live with that. I prefer a loader as all my stuff is residential driveways, only two paved out of all 36 plus. A loader is nice because you can push off to the side better, push back 80 plus degrees and still be length wise in the driveway. Where as a backhoe you can only push off at an angle unless the driveway is wide enough to get the whole machine 90 degrees on it.
  3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

If you can't handle the rental fee maybe you shouldn't bid the account.

Or you need to look at it in a different way.
    If you rent this machine, what other accounts can you do with it. If you are counting on a single account to make the payment on your rented equipment, Bad Idea. If you use this machine on multiple accounts you will be able to justify having a higher priced unit just due to its versility.

I am considering (for next year) just bringing in a sub with a wheel loader and I supply the pusher.

This way I don't have to pay rent on another loader, Loader owner supplies an operator, And I only use it when I need it. I figure in a single month of a "Normal Iowa WINTER" we would push 3 to 4 times. an average of 3 to 5 inches, 4 to 5 hours per push, @ $90 per hour would be roughly $450 per push and $1800 month. Now I wouldn't be paying my operator so I save on payrol and insurance. I am not paying for fuel and no equipment payment. So I think my monthly savings could be pretty nice. But I am still weighing my options on this idea.

So think about this whole rental thing.

FISHERBOY Senior Member

trust me i can handle the account, i hav already done the numbers and it looks very good for next season payup.
  5. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

I have a backhoe with a pusher on it ,it works good it does work hard though but can get the job done,if you don't have to haul snow away I would go with the hoe but if there is lots of snow removal I would go with the loader,the only reason I use the hoe is it is there so why not work it other than the summer.
  6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Its a tough call. I own both, it really depends on the lot you are clearing. I think both can get the job done. If the equipment will only be used on one site I would go with the backhoe. Even though it will take longer, as long as you are working on the site, its a none issue. You save $6000 grand, it costs less on fuel, and the plow will be less expensive. The backhoe can come in handy to break up ice that can accumulate around drain covers, during a flash freeze.
  7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

In my area some of the rental yards will rent out loaders and backhoes on an hours acctually used basis. Backhoe at $45 per hour on the meter.And the machine is at the customer location thru the winter. I have done this in the past. I have my own loader for the past 5 years now. Loader works twice as well as a backhoe. Twice the pushing power, double or triple the bucket size for loading trucks etc.
  8. samjr

samjr Senior Member

loader is good for winging and backhoe good for pushing i been running cat backhoes for 15 years and for the last 3 had pushers on them and we have 3 big loaders with wings on them and for a good part the backhoe does all the work as long as u got some1 that knows how to run 1 it can do just as good a job if not better i never use the steering wheel always using the brakes for left and right my 2 cen tymusic
  9. digit

digit Member

It really depends on how large your lot is how many obstructions and what level of sevice they require.
    If it is fairly easy push and not over 8 acres a backhoe should work fine with a 12-14' pusher if you have long pushes and a larger area I would go with a loader and 18-20' pusher. 10 acres open area with a loader and a 20' pusher 2-3" of snow takes 3-4 hours.
    What ever you do remember with large areas you need to plow with the storm.
  10. natueboy

natueboy Junior Member

without a doubt a loader. You can look at two ways. One get the TLB and use it just for that account. or two get the loader and use that for that account and then some. We used a TBL last year and it was nice but one thing to remember. In order to put adequate weight on the front end, you have to have the front tires off the ground and by doing that of course, you have no turning capability with the machine. On the other with a loader you have complete control of turning as to 98% of the machines articulate in the middle leaving the back to turn. If you can tackle it don't question it. Why bite something and take a chance on choking. And on top of that there is nothing like a 20ft swath of snow in front of a pusher. HOLY $*(!#
  11. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I don't know about in your area, but around here you can get a back hoe sub for $90-$100 per hour. So you can pay 12-14hr per month without it costing you a thing. I don't know what these things eat for fuel, but my 90XT with a 10' pusher burns about 2.5-3 gallons per hour so their is a $10 per hour cost. My guy that runs my skid loader costs me about $29 per hour after insurance and all the BS. So using this equation it will be 20-25 hours per month before you will even be money ahead over just hiring a sub.

25 hrs @ $39=$975 +$1200 rental= $2175
    40 hrs @ $39=$1560 +1200 rental= $2760
    60 hrs @ $39=$2340 +1200 rental= $3540

25 hrs 90-100 per hr = $2250-$2500
    40 hrs 90-100 per hr = $3600-$4000
    60 hrs 90-100 per hr = $5400-$6000

In my area I wouldn't even think about renting and putting a guy in it unless I could bill at least 50 hr per month. Now you have to worry about breakdowns, fuel, maintance, keeping track of the guy your putting in it. If he hits something it's your dollar not a sub's dollar. Just one way to look at it anyway.