1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backhoe hourerly pricing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BigDawg, Jul 26, 2005.

1. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

Okay NJ guys, what are you getting an hour for a backhoe with a push box?
  2. NAC

NAC Senior Member

I get at least $100.00/ hour for a skid steer with 8' pusher so you should at least get that or more.
  3. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Have you ever tried using a backhoe for plowing?? In all my years in Alaska and the last few years plowing, I've only seen one backhoe being used and that was in a car dealership. I watched him a few minutes and it didn't look very productive. Then you've got the backhoe itself hangin off the back. You're a little light on the front end and even if you had 4wd, I don't think you could keep the weight up there to make it effective.

If you get $125 an hour, take it but, the previous poster with the skidsteer would probably run circles around you.

Just my 2 cents..

<--- Puttin on fire retardant jacket now in order to survive expected flaming..
  4. plowed

plowed Senior Member

IMO, backhoes work well in open lots pushing 10'-16' boxes. We've used them along with skid steers and large loaders. It will obviously depend on the surroundings, size of lot, etc. but they can be quite productive.

I would say, depending on the size box you're pusing, you could get anywhere from $125 - $200 an hour, with a good operator.

What are your hourly expenses? This is the place to start. What are you paying a good operator? What is your fuel cost, insurance, maintenance, etc. Factor those items and then figure your production rate based on the size of the machine and the size of the box. Know what your expenses are, then figure out what you need to make. Don't forget too about transportation costs to and from the site. Most guys around here, depending on the size of the machine charge from $300-$500 for transportation. Factor that in as well.