1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backhoe for snow question....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PAPS Landscape, Dec 12, 2002.

1. PAPS Landscape

PAPS Landscape Member

I am very close to buying a 1985 Allis Chalmers 715D backhoe (about same size as a Case 580 - 14,000lbs) . I was wondering:
    1. how much are new rear tires about???
    2. How well does a 2wd. backhoe work for stacking snow, etc. or any other snow-removal related work??

thank-you -
  2. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

Good tires (name brand) will probably run about $1,100.00 mounted and disposal of old tires, off brand tires might be about $200.00 cheaper. 2wd drive is OK but you will not get the drive power that you would from a 4x4 hoe. also they only recomend that you put a 10' pusher on a 2wd where as you can put a 14' pusher on a 4x4.
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I was gonna get some L2 loader tires 17.5X24 for about $400 mounted but if i needed other work done to the rim it was extrz and I don't know about tire disposal.

As Far as snow pileing i can put snow pretty high with my 580 and is a good all around machine.But if your plans are to just do snow work than I would recomend a loader.
  4. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

I used a 2wd international years ago about same weight as your AC The hoe was real clumsey, I took it off and hung a big block of concrete on back it really handled good after that.I did use tire chains most of the time.It pushed a 10 foot blade and stacked well.I now have a 244E JD 4x4 loader #12000 it out works the old hoe but is much higher priced.
  5. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i have a case 580 4x4 and a case 580E 2wd never had a problem stacking snow with 2wd,but once the piles have sat there for a few storms and they must be carted away.it is tuff loading trucks with 2wd.alot of tire spin even with the diff locked,but i`ve stacked some nice tall piles using 2wd.the only time i use 4wd is when im pushing snow and the rears start slipping alot.almost to the point that your going slower than a snail and loading piles into trucks.leaning the hoe back a little helps out to,but steering is not very good skips along while turning. i`ve kept my tires until they were racing slicks.not a good idea if there gel filled seen them burst not pretty.
  6. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I've bought decent used tires. Last one I bought was a 19.5L-24 for $125. Maybe I just got lucky.

I've never used a backhoe as part of the initial snow clearing operation, but I've used both my 580 and 680 Case machines to load snow. Both 2wd and they worked fine loading. I imagine they'd have no problem stacking.