1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backhoe- blade for the hoe?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by cmo18, Nov 15, 2014.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

We have a cat 420 coming this week and one of my guys asked today if it's possible to get a box plow or blade to attach to the hoe to do some sidewalk clean ups around some hotels we do,

Any one ever seen something like this? I'd assume like a 7-8ft pusher on back, lower the boom and drive a head would make quick work...
  2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Could work.....I thought about making a blade that would turn using the hydraulics for a thumb, but I don't know how good it would work unless you put a big counter weight in the front. With that hoe out they sure pop up the front pretty damn easy lol.
  3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Tell Cat you want it with a 4' ditch bucket. That should be enough to clean piles off a sidewalk I would think.
  4. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

We have a old 8 ft pusher for skid steer that banged up. I was thinking about getting something fabricated so I can attach it to the hoe.

The sidewalks we will use it on are the ones that surround a hotel and have 6ft of grass in between the curb and the walk way. If it didn't have the grass we could use the front plow to back drag. Should be able to pull snow of the sidewalk in 20-30 ft section than reposition the machine. On big snow falls you would think it would be a lot quicker than labourers.

I've only saw one hoe with a small 4 ft blade on the back curious to see any other setups
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't think driving around with the boom down scraping pavement would be good for the whole backhoe end of things. How about a front loader bucket off a compact tractor. 5'-7' I would think would be pretty good. You'd have to be a little careful with damaging the bucket I'd think, but should work.