1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backhoe Advise

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by joe2025, Oct 29, 2012.

1. joe2025

joe2025 Member
    from NEPa

I am looking for some feedback on running a Case backhoe with a 14” pusher this year. I have rented John Deere’s in the past and have not had any problems with them but, I may need to purchase my own this year if I receive this large 5 year contract. My question is does anyone run a Case and do you have any problems with starting it in cold weather or any problems with the fuel jelling up? I have heard that Cases are hard to start when it gets really cold and I can’t take the chance of having this type of problem. John Deere’s are more expensive than the Cases that I am looking at and before I buy just wanted to see if anyone has an opinion or experience with running a Case on this subject one way or the other. Thank You for any feedback you may have. I’m looking at a Case 580 Super L vs. a Deere 310SG.
  2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have never ran a case in the snow, just the dirt so I can't say how they start in the cold.. I don't think anything compares to deere in a hoe though. If you have had good luck with deeres why not stick with them? I know cases are less money but over 5 years its not much...... just my 2cents.
  3. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

I've run them all and I really cant say that any one brand starts easier than the other. If you have a block heater and a place to plug it in you will save a lot of aggravation and make your life way easier.
  4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

fuel gelling is not the fault of the machine,..it is poor planning on the part of the person filling it with fuel!...why a backhoe...if it is large get a decent loader or 125hp 4wd farm tractor
  5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I've owned nothing but Deere everything the last 28 years,so I'm biased of course but for good reason.Nothing better IMHO.Take the 310G.I own a 410G and it has always started no matter how cold,but proper planning and PM is a MUST.Fuel treatment EVERY fill,if possible use your block heater, and easy on the ether,only use if absolutely needed.
  6. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Im looking for a backhoe right now Case L or maybe M if I can get one for around $25,000,

Always seemed to start well in the cold
  7. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I have owned my case with a 14' pusher since 96 and never had a problem 6" of wet snow is hard to push so instead of taking the full 14 I just take 12' of it mine is a 580L in the fall I just change the filters and and it's ready to go. my next one will be a case best bang for the buck.
  8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You really can't beat a Case for the money. I mean, I'm a Cat guy through and through and I absolutely HATE Case equipment but you really won't find a better backhoe. Reliable as hell and cheap to maintain. I swear they just don't break as long as you are halfway careful. We've got one left at my work and it has over 8000 hours on it and we beat the daylights out of it at times and it just keeps going. The other two are newer Cats and they don't get the tough work that the Case does. Honestly I kinda hope they don't retire it.
  9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I've only known Case backhoes, and I agree that they are cheap to maintain and will last high hours. I wouldn't go 14 as a pusher, 12 max. JMO
  10. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I have a case 580 sl, great backhoe. Just make sure you have new batteries in it, and treat the fuel. Also plug it in if you're able to, that alone will make it a world easier. In the winter I always keep a little starting fluid in the glove box just in case. I've run a 12' pusher on mine for the last several years and its been wonderful with minimal maintenance.
  11. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I ran a Case backhoe for a guy every winter before I started my own business. I wasn't too fond of the machine but never had any problems with it not starting in the cold.
  12. joe2025

joe2025 Member
    from NEPa

Thank You for all of thr feedback on the Case backhoe guys. I'm going to call our local Deere dealer once more about pricing on use 310SG but I think I will end up going with the Case because of the price being about $13,000 cheaper. I can pick up a '99 580 super L for around $28,000 he also has an '06 but wants $44,000 for it.

Now if I can only get an answer on the bid for the 5 year contract I bid on I can get my a$$ in motion here. The contract starts Nov. 1st and they still havn't made a decision, nothing like putting pressure on a snow management company no matter who gets it. Wish me luck, I can sure use it at this point.

I'll let you know what happens, and again thank you for your input.
  13. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

My suggestion; big batteries, and KEEP THEM WARM!!!! As soon as I'm finished with the machine, I take the batteries out and bring them inside where its heated. Also, more batteries are better than one. Two batteries in series = two times the cranking amps.

On mine, I added an inline water heater and a circulating pump, really warms it up nicely. Glow plugs or an intake manifold heater (in addition to knowing how to operate them), plus a BLOCK heater. Fuel system heater also if possible.

Nothing beats starting it with everything pre-heated.
  14. joe2025

joe2025 Member
    from NEPa

Just an update on this: I received a call this morning that we got the 5 year contract for the snow management. The facilities manager for the company that manages this facility had some question that I knew he would be asking. Said that my bid was on the tight side as far as pricing goes. I told him that I need to grow my company and I knew that I should have bid about $7,000 more and I would have probably still got it but, I did not want to take a chance on going another year praying to the snow gods for revenue to come in. Can’t second guess myself now on it, I know I will still make a decent amount of profit even in a bad year. Like everyone on here always states, everyones cost is different so everyone’s price will be different. Off to NY in the morning to buy a 12’ pusher and calling about a backhoe in the afternoon. 95% sure I’ going to go with the Case as long as I can get the loan for it. Thanks for all the advice and feedback I really appreciate it. Good luck to everybody this year and I hope we all make some money this year.
  15. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I hate renting but if worse comes to worse rent one while you look. I never like to buy stuff last minute because you might make a bad decision... good luck and post pictures.