1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backed into someones mailbox and demolished it!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 94gt331, Mar 20, 2013.

1. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

The other night I was plowing a small aptment complex and I was making my last swipe along the road and backed up alittle to far and I smashed a mailbox up. It was late so I left them my card and a note saying I would fix the mailbox right away. So they call me they where happy I left them my information, so I went to lowes and bought a new mailbox and post alittle nicer than there previous one and put it back up the next day. They where so happy with my follow up. They gave me a nice landscep project in the spring! Cool! I should go around town backing into more mailbox's, lol just kidding!

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

you did the right thing and got rewarded for it.

i did the same thing a few years ago. i could have left and said nothing. they probably would have figured the town plows did it. i called them the next day, fixed it up a few days later, and have gotten consistent tree work out of them ever since.

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I do a lot of private roads and inevitably we damage one or two a year. Usually from the snow rolling off plow. We keep a couple posts cemented into 5 gallon buckets, with mailboxes attached in shop. Because digging is usually tough we will take them out and set them in place and stick a number on them. Come spring we replaced the box/post with a permanent one. Keep in mind these are private roads or long common driveways. that we do all the service on. The 5 gallon bucket mailbox just is a quick way to a box up.

4. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Credit where credit is due 94gt! Thumbs up

Flipper your idea is great. If people still used mailboxes near me I'd do something like that for sure.

5. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

thanks! Thats cool you got a good customer now!

6. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

That's a brillant idea I think I will have to do that as a quick fix it that happens again.

7. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Thanks also!

8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

when i wrecked the mailbox i actually stood it back up in 2 cinder blocks, then come spring i fixed it right when the ground thawed out.

i like the 5 gallon bucket idea too, but it would be something else to trip over keeping it around the yard. at least cinder blocks can serve other purposes throughout the year.

9. mud

mud Senior Member

Kudos to you for stepping up to the plate. Most decent customers understand that things happen, and as long as you are honest and get it fixed right away they are good with it.

I do lots of custom pasture mowing in the summer. A few years back my mower flung a rock and took out the window on the customers truck while he was at work. When he pulled in the glass company was already there replacing the window and I walked up and told him what happened.

He has become one of my best sources of advertisement and I bet he has been responsible for at least ten new recurring customers in the mowing side and probably 20 horses with my farrier service.

He even refused to let me give him a discount on the mowing job the day I popped that window.