1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backed into light pole

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by qualitycut, Dec 24, 2008.

1. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I backed into a light pole today at one of the town homes that shares a drive with the one I do, knocked it over and all just wondering if anyone has had this happen and has an idea what it will cost. Its not a city one but one of those (plastic?)ones that just snap right of about 15-20 feet high.

2. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

good question, I know in Ohio a wooden utility pole is close to $400, so I would imagine that would be pretty pricey

3. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I backed into a light post a few years back at a church. Aluminum and it broke right where the square pole meets the flange base. I brought it to my local shop and they welded it for around $120. Brought it back,reconnected the wires and base nuts holding it on and the church replaced the bulb, mercury vapor, I think.

4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

This has happened WAY to many times to us. One of our drivers hit the same pole at the same property 2 years in a row. We've nicknamed him "Oops", and deservedly so. He's been with us close to twenty years and is a top man, so it happens to the best of them. These poles cost close to six grand each.

Last year at a mall (on the first push of the year - 10 minutes into the push) our site supervisor knocked one down with a loader. This one just over 20 grand!

Another loader operator was clearing a very large office lot with a 16' pusher. No other cars in the lot but HIS. He actually backed into his own car causing big time damage. There are more stories. :cry:

These are all seasoned, top notch operators - the best of the best. Because of the course of time and number of pieces, the law of averages does prevail.....like it or not.

5. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

It's been awhile, but the last one we had to replace was $1000. ATM's cost $3000, 8.5 plows will not fit thru most drive thru lanes!!!!!

6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We just replaced one at $2236 at a strip mall.

7. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

Yeah I think we all have. Best way to find out call a local electrican or take pics to an electric supply company in your area and they can help. I had one jump out and attack me in a retail shopping mall you know the big ones, set me back almost 9k.

8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We hit one last year like TCLA. First plow of the season within the first hour or so.

$11,000.00

9. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

I backed into one of the wooden electrical poles that was in the middle of this parking lot.
    I saw it, but there was ice under the snow and I slid into it.
    Didnt hit it hard, but it blew the back window out of the Cherekee I was using !
    Lucky I had a spare one !

10. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

This was a very good post, you seem like a down to earth person ;)

11. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I backed into a 50' tall light pole at a mall we plow last week and cracked it off.
    All 50' came crashing down.

those lights are around 12,000 a piece :(

12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You must have gotten away without destroying the concrete pillar. :salute:

And you seem very cool yourself Mr. Schultz. I treat people the way I want to be treated. Although I do seem to have a problem with people who act like big shots.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  13. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Glad I'm not the only one with these kind of problems, I do a lot of bank branches and the manager called me up one day to say that a flag pole blew over two days after a storm. I said that couldn't have been my fault, but he rolled the tape thta had my backhoe just catch the edge of the 35' flag pole enough to weaken it. I was able to have the fiberglass repaired, just remember those banks have great video. As matter of fact, the guy doing them before me was fired for billing for salt that was never applied. Bank checked the video and the truck was driving around but not putting down any material, at one branch the company never even sent a truck and billed for it.

14. sherwin

sherwin Member

Got one of those fancy old style ones at an upscale HOA a few years ago. I was too tired and backed into it with the skid, just saw it topple out of the corner of my eye, then a flash as the light exploded. $8000, thank god for insurance.

15. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Yeah the bumper was just high enough to be over the pillar it just strait hit the light pole.

16. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

One of my guys hit one at a private school. Pole fell over, cracked the cement base, wires riped from the ground. By the time they pulled all new wires, new base and pole, installation and such: $7500.00 range.

17. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

It matters very much how tall it is. They get expensive quick.

18. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I dont understand why these light poles jump out from behind us in the middel of the night!:p

19. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I hope all the plowers without insurance look at this thread.

20. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

When I was plowing commercial working for a guy, I was plowing with a 12 foot snow box, andI decided to start pushing snow where no one else had that year. Come to find out in the spring I had destroyed 100 feet of chain link from the snow rolling down a small hill into the fence. Oops