1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backdragging ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Young Pup, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Ok I was doing some backdragging today and noticed that I was not getting all of the snow.I should say getting down to the pavement. I am running a meyers md2. Is there a trick I am missing like angling the blade while doing this. Or is that I don't have enough down pressure with the meyers? Any input that I get is greatly appreciated.

JP

2. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

If there's more than 2 or 3 inches of snow, you'll probably need to backdrag the same area a few times to get to the pavement.. also a cutting edge in good condition makes a big difference. I just replaced mine on my 8' Western and it backdrags much better than before.

3. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

You probably don't have much down pressure. If you have quite a bit of snow you might want to take it off on layers, or go over it again.

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

get a back pull blade, goes on you front blad behind the cutting edge, but curves backward for scraping backward, mine works great, just took a long time to wear in and match the front cuttin edge. if you have a lot of wear on the cutting edge you are better off to replace it when installing a back pull
    edge, that way they are matched. mine was 78 bucks for my western.
    you still need to do the same area a few times to get to the bottom, but once there it scrapes clean.

5. Young Pup

Thanks for the replys. The plow is only a year and one month old. Cutting edge is still pretty good. Will check on getting a backdragging edge on Monday.

6. White Oak

White Oak Member

whre did you get this back drag edge?

7. Young Pup

Just bumping for more input.

Thanks.

8. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

This is why i like the Hydraulic (Smart) downpressure of the Snoway. One pass sometimes two for frozen snow. And yer done. The weight of the blade alone on most plows isnt enough. The thing i like best is the down pressure adjusts acoordingly without input from the driver.

9. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I've used a sno-way for 8 seasons now. Excellent plow. I usually back drag once with the down pressure, then push forward, lift the plow over the pile and back drag the second time with the down pressure. So, two pulls and the drive is down to the pavement. Works great.

10. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Like everyone said if theres a lot of snow unless you have a back drag blade but even still you probably will have to do it a few times. Those meyers are pretty light to so that could be a problem but a lot of it has to do with how much snow there is. We got 8" here and i got a 1200 pound plow and still had to go over it like 3 times.

11. bcf

bcf Senior Member

I've noticed with my plow it doesn't backdrag as good angle either way, so I keep it straight and back drag a pass, and then angle it to whicheve side I need to.

12. amar

amar Member

after you back drag if their is snow left push it twards the garage door and than raise the plow over the small pile and drag it out. Make sure you back drag a fiew times before you try this to get rid of most of the snow.

13. Young Pup

That is what I ended up doing. Shoving towards the door. But Instead of trying to drag it back out we used a snowblower and shovel to get the pile off the drive. That definitely seemed a little faster to me. Since the snowblower was in a different truck I was able to move on to the next drive while the guys finished up that one.