1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

backdragging to much?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gc3, Dec 12, 2009.

1. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I see some guys pull up to a garage and backdrag only the length of their truck then they turn around and push it out. Others say they backdrag the whole length of the drive way. I've seen some plows get stuck from to much snow backdragged and their frame and they can't lift the plow over it. I have a 8'2 boss vxt. How do you know how much to backdrag before you get in trouble and get it stuck? Thanks:dizzy:
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

if the drive is less than 100 feet, i back drag the whole thing, larger i backdrag only the truck lenght.

i dotn do it all at once... i pull into the drive with the plow down, then raise it pull forward 3 feet and drop it. i take it out in a few "chunks" , in this manor so i never drive over the snow and pack it to there driveway

it just takes practice
  3. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Also, it depends how well your plow back drags....some seem better than others.
  4. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

Very True:nod:
  5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Also depends on the consistency of the snow. You can backdrag powdery snow much easier and not have to worry too much about packing it down.
  6. Outd00r Maint..

Outd00r Maint.. Senior Member

i've learn this ..one the first snow storm..our v-plow back dragging was terrible.must been because of the snow was wet ,no back drag blade and 12" of snow
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

On gravel drives backdrag 100% until you get a white asphalt coating. Then back pull the length of the truck and turn around. On asphalt BD the lenght of the truck and turn around. You will find less residue of snow left on the drive. NTM BD will create more friction on the snow and cause the leftover film to become very slipery and perhaps icy.
  8. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Wow, that must have been one heck of a storm to have to back drag 12 inches of snow.
    Been there and done that but no back dragging.

What kind of a V plow do you have?
  9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

dude, look at his signature and his avatar....
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Backdragging with a Sno-Way with DP is easy.
    Experience will tell you how far your truck and plow will backdrag
  11. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

My vxt isn't to bad at backdragging. It seems if I have a problem area I just push forward on it then raise the blade over it and backdrag it. The one's I really hate are the L shaped drives next to the garage. I turn towards the garage and end up angling the blade the rest of the way to square up cause my turning radious on my gmc isn't alot, then I back up.
  12. wayned1224

wayned1224 Junior Member

Not sure if it's just my lack of experience...but my Curtis Sno Pro 3000 doesn't seem to be too great at backdragging. Although I am a newbie, it just seems I have to make 4-5 passes backdragging to get an average size driveway somewhat clean.
  13. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Sorry about that. I checked both and nothing was there. Worse yet, it was right at the bottom of his post.
  14. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

could be a couple of things, first off, if the driveway isn't flat, your going to leave snow behind in the low spots. make sure your plow is in float mode, doubt its that though. the plow might also not have a lot of weight so adding a backdrag edge will improve its reverse plowing capabilities alot.
  15. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

You are joking right? Taking out three foot chunks at a time? :laughing:

If you guys are having trouble getting the drive clean while backdragging, try this.... pull all the way up to the garage and backdrag as much out of thedrive as you can. Then drop the plow down and plow the remaining snow forward, towards the garage. Stop once you are about 5 feet from the garage door. Lift your plow, pull it forward of the pile, and backdrag it out of the driveway.

So pull it back, then push what's left forward, and pull it back again.
  16. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Great advice for getting stuck or highcentering your truck and blade on a big pile.
    Yes you can push forward if the snow is 2"-6" deep but go ahead and try a 5' push forward and then go over it when the snow is 10" or more deep....:dizzy:
    After a few plows you will figure out what works and what doesn't
  17. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Yea don't want to get stuck. What's high centering
  18. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

frame of plow sits low and if you go over pile you end up loading frame and truck grill with snow
    only go over small piles or you will frame out plow
  19. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

ahh, thanks
  20. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Did you even read what I posted before spouting off a stupid remark like that? :dizzy:

It does not appear as though you know ANYTHING about plowing. I have to wonder if you have ever plowed ANYTHING. :cry:

I said PULL BACK the snow first, then PUSH FORWARD the small amount that will be ramaining on the drive, and then PULL BACK that small amount. Please don't give anymore advice until you plow a storm or two ok. Strange how I have done this method several times yet you don't seem to think it is possible.