1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backdragging Question

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Notoriousve, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Notoriousve

Notoriousve Junior Member

I have a 1/2 ton 1500 Chevy Silverado and would like to put a snowdogg MD75 on it. I'm curious as to if anybody has tried to back drag with this plow. I need to at least be able to back drag half the length of my truck and was wondering if anybody can give me an idea of how many inches of light snow and how many inches of wet snow I would be able to back drag if at all before the plow starts to lift off the pavement?

Thanks.

2. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

Backdraging with the MD75 (400#) is challanging. Becouse of the weight it does not do a very good job backdraging. I would suggest you purchase a Western Back Drag edge (you will have to drill some holes in it and install it on you MD75

3. Notoriousve

So all I need is a 7' 6" western back drag blade and drill some holes to match, sounds good. Thats what you did or someone you know did?

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

My EX does jsut fine backdragging, but it also weighs about 775 lbs. The other poster is correct though, a back drag edge will make all your back drags come out nice and clean. Any plow will kinda suck backdragging wet snow once you drive over it. Unless it is heavy, has a back drag edge or has down pressure (snow way)

5. Notoriousve

From what I have read so far, nobody makes a back drag blade for a trip edge plow and the Snowdogg MD75 has a trip edge so I guess Im out of luck for now.

6. Nelsen

Nelsen Member

Correct, the Western will not work. The Dogg version is expected this year, but after seasons end. I have an MD75 and it has presented issues. It's still under warranty, so I have decided to not put any extra weight on the moldboard for now. But, if I can't get a backdrag blade for next year, I'll be adding weight.

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

You had better look at the plow again. It is not trip edge. The only plows that are trip edge are the V plows. If you dont believe me, look at the Buyers site. So with a little modification the Western edge will work

8. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

you should just get a boss sport duty or standard duty plow, or a western plow, then you dont have to worrie abpout weight

9. Nelsen

Nelsen Member

He's right.

But I asked at my dealer if they'd put the western on for me, and they said no. It sounds goofy for me not to do the work myself, but it's still under warranty and I personally do not want to give them ANY chance to say I did this or that, and thus it's out of WAR.

I really wish they'd do it for me.....especially since there isn't an option to buy a BUYERS BD blade.

10. '08FX4SnoPro3K

'08FX4SnoPro3K Member

Backdragblades.com. I put one of these in my Curtis 8'SnoPro and I did have to alter it a bit to bolt it on but it works great. They are supposed to bolt onto the plow with the cutting edge bolts but they don't quite line up on the trip edge model. So I drilled some holes of my own to mount it. I'll show some pics if you are interested ...They don't show buyers as an available model but call the guy up and give him measurements or diagrams or lenths or whatever and I'll bet he'll make you one. It's a small operation and this guy is a he'll of a fabricator

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

The dealer that sold one of my subs his HD 9fter Snow Dogg, put a western backdrag edge on it. No warranty void. Works awsome. Had about 2 inches of snow that had accumulated over a weeks time and tried it out the other day on a couple driveways.....scraped all the way down to pavement on 40 ft long drives, even after it had been tracked on a little.

12. rthomas1787

rthomas1787 Junior Member
    from alaska

Hi have a md75 on my 07 tundra. When ever i have needed to back drag it has worked great. Just make sure that your not in float mode.

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Why?...:confused:

14. 33yearsinsnow

from ohio

Yes I have put a Western backdrag edge on a snowdogg MD75 and it works fine. Will not void warranty, you can ask Scott from buyers and he will back that up. As far as not running the plow in Float that works for backdragging but can cause damage when using the plow to actually plow.

15. piperpm

piperpm Member

Air-Flo 7.5' Carbon Steel...700 lbs. and back drags great...on my F-150 with Timbrens and only about 1/2" sag when in up position... good plows

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

What's the advantage of NOT using float while backdragging?.........and what if I'm using the plow but not actually plowing? :drinkup:

17. piperpm

piperpm Member

We backdrag in float.... works great.... you want the plow to conform to the change in terrain...

18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I agree.....but the two quotes above is why i was asking/confused what the purpose was of NOT putting it in float.

19. 33yearsinsnow

from ohio

When a plow is in float the valve is open and allows the plow to follow the road surface, when it is not in float the valve is closed so there is pressure on the cylinder. if the plow is not in float then it is ridged so it works better for backdragging, the problem is if you plow this way you risk damage to the plow becouse it does not follow the road surface

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

None of this applies to any chain lifted plow...or any other plow for the most part for that matter, chain lift or not.

Tough to have rigidity for back dragging with 50 chain links between the plow and the lift cylinder.