1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backdragging downhill... (ultramount)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NoStockBikes!!, Jan 15, 2003.

1. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Ok, this seemed a bit odd to me. We finally got like 1.5 inches of snow. Not enough to trip triggers and get my ass called to sub, but enough for me to FINALLY hook up and play around in my driveway. Here's the deal I noticed.

When backdragging, and I start backign up (down my driveway)the blade loses contact with the ground for about 4 feet in the transition from level to slope, if you know what I mean. It's all the way down in float, but still leaves about an inch for that range before it starts scraping again.

My driveway isn't THAT sloped, I would expect a plow to work with no problem.

So what do I need to do? Change those height variable holes to a taller setup and "fool" it into dropping a bit more? When I measured my bumper height, it was in the lowest range. My A arm sits fairly level now (maybe a bit down), and I think one hole up would still leave it fairly level, maybe a bit up. Any thoughts?

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Simple Answer

Just leave a little more slack in the lift chain. The plow won't raise as high, which shouldn't be a problem, and it will drop into low spots like it should.

~Chuck

3. NoStockBikes!!

Cool, thanks. Sounds a lot easier than taking the A arm apart out in the cold. :D

4. tnt69tnt69

tnt69tnt69 Member

I know i may sound like a dumb ass, but just in case, are you sure it's not riding up on the snow?

5. fordman

fordman Senior Member

As long as there is enough slack on the lift chain the plow shouldn't ride up on top of the snow, unless the snow has been really packed down.

6. NoStockBikes!!

Yeah, it's really light fluffy snow, and even if it was dragging over packed snow I'd have been able to hear and feel it. It was just plain too high. Gonna let the chains down two links and see how that goes.

7. tnt69tnt69

tnt69tnt69 Member

Let me see if i got this straight though. You say you lose contact backdragging dowhill, i'm assuming that means that the driveway is up hill from the road. Therefore you would not have to lower the chains, because the plow will always be on higher ground than the truck. There is no way you can lose contact backdragging downhill. If I am wrong can someone please correct me as to how. I don't see it.:confused:

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It sounds like he's going from the level to a downhill slope, which would raise the plow. The plow needs to go down more in order to keep contact as it's still on the level part as the back of the truck starts downhill - raising the plane of the truck-to-plow.

9. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Exactly Mick....

~Chuck

10. tnt69tnt69

tnt69tnt69 Member

ok, so the driveway goes uphill from the road and then levels off at the top. If that's the case, then i see. I guess i just don't see too many driveways that are like that.

11. Chuck Smith

from NJ

It has to be a pretty steep drop off. I did one for 5 years that was so steep at the top, I had to shovel a 6' X 15' section by hand every time we plowed it. I even tried leaving 6" of slack in the lift chain at this house, and we still had to shovel.

~Chuck

12. NoStockBikes!!

Well, it's not really THAT steep, which is why it surprised me and made me ask... Supposed to get some flurries tonight, I'll report back for sure if that fixed it. maybe take teh digicam out and take a pic of the driveway, too.

Thanks.