1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

backdragging and rear plows?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Husky, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Husky

Husky Junior Member

please define these two,,i think i know,,but im not sure,,please help me.??

I am undecided on what i want to do,,i might want to plow driveways door to door,,or i might want to do some commercial,,,i am intrested in starting to do this this winter,,but i dunno,,yet just gathering some information??

when do you go for commercial accounts if you are going to go for them?

2. fordsrule

fordsrule Member

Backdragging is when you pull up to a garage door and drop the blade then backup to pull the snow back enough so you can turn around then pile up the snow.

rear plows make it so you can back up to the garage door then lower the plow and pull the snow forward away from the garage door. Then you back up again and then pile up the snow

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You will usually need a regular plow in addition to the rear plow. Starting out, most people will stick with a front plow until they get enough business to justify the rear plow. If you have many of the right type of accounts, a rear plow will be invaluable.

In your situation, I'd really advise against trying for commercial accounts. Too easy to underbid and lose money and to get a bad reputation for poor service. It's easier to recover from poor judgement of a residential account than commercial.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
  4. Husky

Husky Junior Member

I appreciate you guys giving me some infor,,,hey another queston for you

people tell me to go residential before commercial,,,cause it can be risky....ok

well,, i know you guys have contracts with the residential customers,,but,,cant you go door to door,,i mean,,obviously i do it with insurance3 and everything,,so no cutting corners,,im just looking for hteextra cash during the winter,,,id like to make it a big thing?

do you ever mess with a DOT?

5. Mick

from Maine

DOT - No experience with them. I guess it would be ok, but you can make more getting your own customers.

Going door to door - You mean like a salesman? Why would you? You want to line up your customers to get a route set up before it snows and minimize travel time. Going door to door, you're wasting a lot of time and gas. Then you'd be getting new business everytime it snowed where other guys already have their's lined up and you're left with the dregs.

Get out there and advertise 2 -3 months before it usually snows (I will start advertising for new customers in August). Try to get 2 or 3 that need plowed so they can get out to go to work at 6:00, and maybe some that don't leave until later and a few that can wait till later in the day. The first year, you may need to just take anything and anybody you can get, then start weeding out the ones who are too far, not reliable in paying or are just a PIA.

6. DavidJ01

DavidJ01 Junior Member

Mick, could you define what the right kind of account is for a rear plow?

Also, in regards to backplowing, my understanding was that it's not good to plow in reverse because it creates execessive wear and tear on the transmission. Am I incorrect?? And that's why rear blades are so desireable by many plowers (or at least it seems like it from what I've read).

Thanks,

David...

7. Mick

from Maine

One where you back into a spot (like a garage or loading dock), drop your rear plow, drive forward a couple of truck lengths, raise the rear plow, back up, lower the front plow and push the snow on to where you want it. What I was getting at, was to be sure the expense of the backplow is justified by the time you would save. For instance, for me it's not justified as my plowing is mostly driving forward on long driveways or roads. As far as wear and tear, I don't know if it would be significantly more, since usually you're only pulling small amounts in reverse and for a short distance as compared to what you push going forward.