1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backdrag Weight

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EEW, Dec 25, 2004.

1. EEW

EEW Junior Member

Here in Ohio we had a great snowfall. Lots of $$. The only problem is that we got rain for 3 hours after we got 12" of snow. After the rain it turned back into snow. This caused a problem once it froze on top of snow in driveways that had not been plowed yet. I found that when I tried to back-drag away from the Garage doors that my blade would not get through the crust. Has anyone thought about increasing the weight on the plow in order to get a better back-drag????

:dizzy:

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

depending on your plow you can get a back drag edge. basically its like a cutting edge that works for when you go backwards. I dont think you want to put any more "weight" than you need to on your plow. A rear plow/pull plow would really help in situations like that too.

3. lqmustang

lqmustang Member

I ran into a few of those, and I would plow forward first, then backdrag. Seemed to do a fair job once the ice started setting in.

4. EEW

EEW Junior Member

Tried something different

Today I Did what you said but I also plowed forward toward the garage within 6 feet of then I backdraged the fluffed snow out. It worked better. I also want to make myself a bakdrag bladed that I can put on in on a moments notice. I think I will use the holes made for the plow shoes. Maybe make pegs mounted to a steel plate that can slide into the shoe holes with quick pins. What do you think?Should be quick and light for one person to handle!

5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Plow it forward the last few feet then lift, forward a couple feet, drop blade and backdrag er out. You can also turn your blade for a better cut after ya try a straight blade pull.
    Todd

6. Robo

Robo Senior Member

I just push a button on my plow but then again I have the DP option on my snoway :nod:

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

were talking major ice crust snoway is not goona break snow one heavy fisher or western will break that

8. Robo

Robo Senior Member

Not sure what you mean?? Snoway is the only plow I know of with downpressure and would have to believe when the DP is engaged it weighs more than a western or fisher :nod:

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

I have a back drag edge on my western, got it middle of the season last year. I love it , digs right to the pavement and scrapes better than forward,
    i like it better than a back blade, if you have a drive that curves to the garage instead of having to get as straight as possible you just angle the blade to match the angle of the garage, i have even plowed and then back bladed to scape the pavement off better, just seems to get thru the packed layer better than the front scraper.

10. stumper1620

oh ya forgot to mention, it would be a real bad idea to use it at three in the morning next to a customers house. (very very loud) :nono:

11. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

You may want to try loosening up your bolts on the cutting edge with the plow down in float and then tighten them back up. If you put a backdrag on a western after the cutting edge is broken in it will take a while to get the front to cut even with the back again, till the backdrag edge gets shallowed.......

12. stumper1620

ya i knew that right away but it still works great, its worn in to match now
    it did take awhile and it is still loud, thanks for the tip, i just dropped the blade and plowed a few side roads from customer to custmer to wear it in, i'll bet i had everybody looking out their windows wondering wht the hack was coming down the road, its louder than the county plows.:waving:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  13. lqmustang

lqmustang Member

I'm curious as to how much the backdrag edge set you back, and was it available at your dealer?

14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I don't think anything would of helped with the conditions we just had!
    Maybe a magic wand? Get what you can and take a straight edge shovel
    ( coal shovel) and just manually remove it from in front of the door? If it's daylight ask the customer to open the garage door and push in, then back drag.
    Just watch getting too close to the garage doors, remember when you raise the blade it will arc forward when you drop it.

15. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I was having my customers open the garage door and I was backing into the garage and pushing straight out. It was all i could do to get that frozen ice crust up from the drive...Rob

16. EEW

EEW Junior Member

Thanks

I have a MEYER 7.5. Has anyone seen a backblade for my unit? I wish the MEYER had down pressure. I did have a few customers open the door and it was great to see bare pavement when I was done. I am a perfectionist and hate to leave snow on a drive!

17. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

With the storm that we had, I don't care what kind of plow you have, down-pressure or not, you cannot back drag

18. stumper1620

i was back dragging that heavy wet stuff last spring and twice this year
    it gets the snow back to where you can push it, may take a few pulls if its really packed but it still cuts down through to the pavement,
    oh ya i picked it up from my western dealer they keep them in stock just like the front edge, 78 bucks out the door last year. :waving:

19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Man, It must be a New England thing- we make our drag edges up here from old worn out cutting edges.
    Weld on a piece of bar stock to the ends so it can be bolted to a plow rib and notch it out to fit around the springs and etc but above all else make sure you can chain it up when your not useing it. If you stack alot you know how easy it is to get too much snow behind the blade to back right out (man I miss the old straight chain and grab hook on the A-frame) without re hooking the blade higher- well, the back edge makes for alot more snow to be held there. I am going to rig up a pneumatic piston to raise mine via SS aircraft cable for next year.

OH- and most important with a drag edge remember there are no springs- when you hit a sewer cover/water shutoff/edge of the driveway the plow does not give (pavement tends to come up in big chunks tho)

20. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Justme,
    Is it possible that you could post a pic or two of this setup the way you have the bars welded onto the edges, and the way you have it notched out for the springs? This would be a big help...thanks.