1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backdrag edge not working well

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by drivewaydoctor, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

Any ideas on this problem? I had a brand new 8' cutting edge and Western OEM backdrag edge put on my 8' Steel blade. It is the edge that bolts between the cutting edge and blade.

Both edges seem to sit on the ground perfectly even and level. Backing out of driveways I'm still leaving a layer of snow on the asphalt. Am I just expecting too much from the edge? I figured it would clean it right down to the blacktop.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. Russell0174

Russell0174 Junior Member

I put on a backdrag edge on my 8.5 western also,Have never been happy with it I replaced the plow cutting edge last week, and took off the back drag. works better without it. I do not think the plow has enough weight to work well. I have a 9 foot leo plow with a backdrag edge, and it works great. The plow is 300 pounds heavier.

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I had a older Western conventional on a 88 GMC that worked great with the backdrag blade. Cleaned it to pavement unless I built up to much snow pulling but a second pull would take care of it. I do believe weight is a major factor as that Western seemed to lay on the pavement heavier then my Boss.

4. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

I was told by the Western Distributor that the back drag edge will not work that well until your main cutting edge is worn some. They said the angle of the back edge is formed in a way to work when the main has been worn down some.

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I would have to agree (with the last post). I have one and it works well. Yes, at times, it does leave some snow on top, but mine in most cases is from the ProWing flap folding under and lift the blade up slightly. Even with that, if I then push forward, lift, and re-pull the backdrag, it scrapes pretty clean - without having to go bak over it over and over. I do love the sound of that wearbar going against the hard surface. It is like music to my ears.

6. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

This is the second season I have a back drag edge on a 8' ultra mount prow plus. both edges were installed new with the plow. The biggest difference in quality I've noticed include amount of snow, type of snow, temperature, existing snow on pavement and "micro" climates. 4" of powder at 18°,where the pavement was black prior to the snow and tends to be a "warmer" property, will back drag down to the pavement very nicely. 7" of wet heavy snow that wasn't 100% black on a "cooler" property usually back drags like crap. Also, it looks like you have a uni mount. I know my old uni mount didn't look as heavy as my ultra mount. I wonder if there's a weight issue there too?

7. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

My 8.6 mvp plow is a hit or miss if it will back drag well. It may be just the nature of the beast. I have a 7.6 uni with a straight blade that is the same.

8. Thanks for the input guys. I'll stick it out and see if it gets better over the season.

9. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

I just picked up a new 8' ultramount a month ago with a backblade on it and it's better than just the cutting edge but I still have to scrape the areas down several times to get them clean. I think down pressure would make all the difference in the world. I only have about 100 hours on the blade so time will tell.

10. Robbie Rooster

Robbie Rooster Member

I bought one a couple years ago..worked like crap. The snow would get packed between the edge and the blade causing it to not sit flush to the ground. I took it to the salvage yard after using it once. My other plow has the bolt on flip backdrag, and I could not live with out it.

11. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

Which one are you talking about, I had one that bolted behind the regular edge, I took it off really quick. It never seemed to work. If you have one that works for you could you post a pic?