1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backdrag cutting edge question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Comet, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Comet

Comet Senior Member

Anyone utilizing the backdrag cutting edge on their plows?
    I purchaced 2 last week and just installed one, to me it looks like the backdrag cutting edge is touching the ground first. There is no room for any play.

How long will it take to wear the steel edge down to meet the main cutting edge please??, I might not like this
    My plows are the Unimount Pro 8'
    I was just informed thats the way it is and to let it wear down. But how long will that take,, should I do some dry runs

Thank you in advance

2. Comet

Comet Senior Member

Never mind, I found out,

3. Runner

Runner Senior Member

What did you do, go wear it down on dry pavement? I was thinking, if it isn't wore down, it would creat problems by riding up and over snow. I'm glad you got it worked out, though. Actually, I'm considering purchasing one to help with the residentials.

4. Comet

Comet Senior Member

My cousin runs 2 also, I never knew
    He said itll wear down real fast due to its a much thinner piece of steel
    Probably just after a 1/2mile or so
    Someone correct me if IM wrong

5. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

howd you mount it,behind the cutting egde or behind the frame of the blade?

6. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I have both the Western and one that I had made for me. Both do a better job of back-dragging. The downsides are the Western is very loud and might wake the customers up at night. Since I had the other one installed I started to snap the centre bolt on the plow after every 3-4 snowfalls. Both plows are 7.5 Pro Plows.

7. Comet

Comet Senior Member

Hi
    These mounted behind the frame, same side where the nuts are fastened
    You need utilize bolts 1/4" longer, its best when the cutting edge is new also
    so they wear evenly,, Ill see how it goes

8. Comet

Comet Senior Member

My error
    They get mounted behind the cutting edge blade NOT behind the frame where the nuts fasten, that was totaly wrong, sorry

I had it wrong, now the 2 blades are pretty much even

9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Ok,..so it goes between the board and the wearbar. What's the price on these things, anyway?

10. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

i think i paid about $80.00 or close to that

11. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

I paid about 80 bucks for my western,they are loud, it will wear down even, in the mean time if the bar rides up and over when pushing it don't leave that much, until mine wore in I back dragged the drive to scrape it clean, the back pull scraper will cut down thru built up packed snow better than pushing.
    IMO.

12. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Sweet. So in lighter snow, we then can probably pull back the entire length of a drive that is say,....50 ft. long or so? If this is the case, I am certainly sold. I think I am sold anyway, actually.

13. Snow Assassin

Snow Assassin Junior Member
    from Indiana

Does anyone use a backdrag edge with a poly plow? I know the Western site only mentions the steel blade when discussing the backdrag edge. I sure like my urethane edge though.

Thanks
    Jay