1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backdrag Blades, how much?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cjasonbr, Feb 23, 2007.

1. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

How much do those backblade cost? How much to install on avg? Is there much difference in design, or are they all pretty much the same?

Sorry for all the questions, all i know about backdrag blades is that i want one! I'm not planning on buying 'em until next season, so i can't bring myself to call my dealer if i'm not ready to buy. Thanks for any feedback. - Jason

2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I paid $270 installed and worth every penny:salute:

4. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Are they pretty much all the same? They don't have different designs by company do they? Are some better than others?

5. Grn Mtn

many different types, not many made by manufactures, mostly aftermarket, and homebuilt. mine was put on by a sub of my dealer.

6. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

Cant find on this site or am I missing something. searched online catolog and couldnt find back blades anywhere. Help?

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Most backdrag edges are home made or made at mom&pop welding shops. Central welding in waltham, MA makes them

8. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

Look under snowpushers.

9. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

Got it. Thanks!

10. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Do they all work the same or is there a difference between them? For example: Would i just drop my truck off anywhere and say i want a back blade. Or is there a specific type of back blade that would be better, that i should say i want?

11. ksgcapecod

ksgcapecod Member

Found this while I was browsing. I'm thinking about getting one if we ever get snow. If anyone contacts them keep us updated.
    http://www.backdragblades.com/

Looks close to the same as in previous posts but looks to be direct from company.

12. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

no kidding. I thought they had to be welded on. The one from the link above just go on instead of the shoes..... hmmmmm..

13. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

maybe we should ask them about a group buy? I need 2.

14. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

I got the western backdrag blade, for all that it gets bashed, i dont feel its half bad, sure saves me time

15. Grn Mtn

not all are created equal....

I have used a swinging weld-on type of backdrag (picts in my signature link) for 3 years now. These are the reasons I would choose this over the western factory/avenger/etc type of bolt-on:
    1. Taller. Being that it is taller it will hold more snow and allow you to drag more snow.
    2. Heavier. It will bust up hard pack better and the added weight will help your plow push better.
    3. Best reason - It Swings. When lifting the blade up and over a curb, the swinging backdrag edge will float over the curb and scrape it clean. Also when doing gravel you just lift the blade an inch or two and the backdrag edge will lightly sweep the gravel without removing it.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=32392 --larger picts not mashed up in my collage.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=43267 --good real world examples of mine in use

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  16. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Thanks Grn Mtn, I was starting to think i'd never figure out anything about these blades. That is just the info i was hoping for! Would any of you guys be interested in going in on some kind of group buy? Maybe we could get 15% off or something if we bought enough....
    I guess these blades don't "swing" like Grn Mtn was saying. Perhaps i should try to find a swinging one?
    Here's what i got back from those people when i inquired about 2 BD blades for my trucks:

Sir;

Thanks for your inquiry. The price for the 8.0 Fisher would be $175.00 plus $20.00 shipping via Fed Ex. The 8.0 Boss SD would be $205 delivered to you. The Boss is laser cut out of 11" material which makes them a little more expensive but they are awesome BackDragBlades. Our BDB's mount using the original cutting edge bolts and have a patented smooth open box design, all holes and notches are custom laser cut with no drilling necessary. They are reinforced by welded gussets the length of the blade, are powder coated and winter tested in Michigan for three years. They outperform any other blade on the market by a long shot.

The Boss BackDragBlade is designed to mount without taking off the cutting edge (leave the bolts in the 3rd hole from each end) and no modifications need to be made. With any BackDragBlade style we sell, there can be three boltholes can be drilled from the top of the bottom angle to provide extra strength for extreme plowing but those aren't necessary. The Fisher has the spring shackle bracing running underneath the bottom angle out to the cutting edge. Those braces need to be ground or notched out in the shape of the BackDragBlade (we send a template) so that the BDB can fit tightly against the top of the bottom angle. We've done this several times with success and no harm to the strength of the plow. Our blade, once it's attached across the bottom of the plow, actually strengthens it significantly. Please give Bill a call at 269.420.3959 for technical questions or email me to order. We can send them out Monday morning if you send us a check. Thanks and we'll wait to hear from you again.

Rick Hess
    Bill Sempf
    backdragblades.com PO Box 44 Dowling MI 49050-0044 269.420.3959 or 721.8909
    Fax: 269.721.8915

17. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Gosh, apparently in the off-season i can use it to level my lawn! :nod:

"The Avenger Back Drag Blade works very well for yard leveling in new construction, fill dirt has been brought in to repair an area or after a long winter of parking. The Avenger Back Drag Blade provides a smooth, workable area with minimum passes and a final grade better than when using a small front end or skid loader. When spreading ¼" stone, crushed bank run gravel or any landscape driveway product simply get the level close with front blading and finish back dragging with the Avenger Back Drag Blade."

Grn mtn: After looking at your pics it appears that the blades from "www.backdragblades.com" aren't anything like yours. They're fixed instead of hinged and dont extend past the bottom of the blade.

Edit:
    Would this make anyone else nervous? "The Fisher has the spring shackle bracing running underneath the bottom angle out to the cutting edge. Those braces need to be ground or notched out in the shape of the BackDragBlade (we send a template) so that the BDB can fit tightly against the top of the bottom angle. We've done this several times with success and no harm to the strength of the plow. Our blade, once it's attached across the bottom of the plow, actually strengthens it significantly."
    Doesn't really make sense to modify an expensive plow to fit a $200 back drag blade...... Seems like it should be the other way around..... I don't know if i could bring myself to grind down the support braces!!!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  18. Grn Mtn

to have my style put-on you need to grind off the shoe mounts, but that didn't bother me one bit - I never used the shoes after I ripped one off probably my 10th time plowing.

Have you asked around if local shops make this kind of style?

19. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Nawwww, I'm sure the local shop does them, but i'm not planning on getting them this season, i'm already in the red...

It seems that you can't use shoes with these backfrag blades anyways.... o i guess it doesn't much matter if they need to be cut off.... to me anyways...

20. AJ Watson

AJ Watson Member

backdragsnow

Go to www.backdragsnow.com.

Prices listed for the public.

Dealers also listed on the site.

Find a dealer in your area save on shipping.