1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

backdrag blade

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by powerstroke_7.3, Feb 24, 2008.

1. powerstroke_7.3

powerstroke_7.3 Member

i was wondering where i can find a backdrag blade to put on my 7.5' western plow... thanks for help in advance... also if any of you guys use this blade does it work pretty good?

2. powerstroke_7.3

powerstroke_7.3 Member

hmm i must be the only one who has seen them....i saw them on ebay but just wonderin if anyone has bought or used them before

3. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i bought one, but it caused my front edge to be to high off the ground. It's just sitting in my shop right now, haven't gotten around to taking a look at it again.

4. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

We have one on our 7.5 uni-mount it works great it usually scrapes right downt to the tar in one swipe. I wouldn't do residential driveways without it.

5. powerstroke_7.3

powerstroke_7.3 Member

but you dont have any problems with the front edge not goin down all the way?

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Both the front blade and the back drag blade MUST be installed at the same time to have even wear otherwise nether are worth anything.

I have the standard western back drag blade. It's ok ( the 'Ol sno-way rocked for back dragging ) ... couldn't imagine how bad it would be without it. Push-then-pull.

7. powerstroke_7.3

powerstroke_7.3 Member

alrite so i should buy a new front blade and then put both of them on at the same time ..got it thanks for the help where else besides ebay can i find a backdrag blade

8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Well ... your Western dealer for the stock back drag blade which is better than nothing.

OR.... www.backdragblades.com When mine wears out I will give this one a try. The Western does not have the same outward cut angle as this after market offers which I think could be better.

9. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i made hinged ones for my westerns and meyers blades and they work alot better than the factory ones and will alot of times break up the ice when it chatters against the gound.. There is no need to put a new cutting edge on either.

10. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

i can also make them....and can tell you how as well...welder and some stock and a old edge is all you need...i knwo a place to find a kit you can order too...pm me

11. Dissociative

here's the stock backdrag's.....need to be put on at same time as front dege for obvious reasons...

i don't like them...they are loud and get packed full of snow and don't work..IMO...the aftermarket ones that use EXACTLY the same design will do the same thing,....waste of time..
    [​IMG]

here's some pics of what i built for mine...hinged, uses old cutting egde....and scrapes the stuff CLEANER THAN FOWARD sometimes...lol....works great AND IS ALSO REMOVABLE IN 30 SECONDS..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Dissociative

13. Dissociative

I WAS EVEN ABLE TO MODIFY SOME WHEELS TO BOLT ON MY PRO-LUS AND WORK WITH THE BACK DRAG NO PROBLEMS...MAKES MOVING THAT HEAVY SOB A CAKE WALK..ROLLS RIGHT INTO SPOT IN GARAGE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IS IT GOOD TO BE DOING THIS TO A 2 MONTH OLD PLOW??!?!?!...LOL..THE DOCTOR AT WORK..
    [​IMG]

FINAL NOTES.....i have tested this through almost 1,000 hours...not one failure..hit curbs going backwards HARD..abused it...still works great...everything is quick release so it pops right off for cleaning and greasing and this will outlast my blade i am sure....it also works even if my truck is front up on a hill type driveway...scrapes up to 4" from the garage foor and leaves it clean in one pass....

PM ME IF YOU WANT DETAILS ON THESE AND I CAN HELP YOU DECIDE HOW YOU GET IT OR MAKE IT..

14. Dissociative

who ever notices that ain;t a ro-plus in my garage is keen...but thats where it sits...that was my old plow

15. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

Dissociative, I have the same backdrag edge and love them. I like how you made the wheels work with it on there.

16. Dissociative

thank you....that came from necessity...as i live in a townhouse with a single car garage

17. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

that is exactly what i think i will build for my blade after seeing your's Dissociative!! I also am going to whip up some custom wings...as soon as I decide on style/plan to build them. Any tips from you guys would be a huge help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

looks cool , when back draging does the blade stay kicked back on an angle , or does it stand straight up and meet at a 90 degree?

19. pitrack

pitrack Senior Member

So can you actually buy what you have or did you make yours? I also doubt you can get something like that for a V blade?

20. BDB

BDB Senior Member

I bought mine, that is very similar to that, at Aspen Equipment in Bloomington, MN. They also have a locations in Omaha, NE • (402) 894-9300 and Ankeny, IA • (800) 888-9545 if either are close to you. I have seen them on V plows but didn't study it. Don't know if Aspen would have something like that.