1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

backdrag blade worth it?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jerseydrew, Aug 11, 2015.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

i had one on my HTS and still felt like back dragging sucked. going to get an 8.5 pro plus now. is the backdrop blade going to make any difference on this plow?

2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I have 8.0 pro with backdrag blade. Well worth it IMO.

3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I had one on a 7.5' MVP; it did help a bit. When I switched to a 8.5' MVP, I didn't bother with it and it still back drags fine since the plow is so heavy (I usually have wings on too, which adds more weight). Really just depends on if you want to spend the money.

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I feel the only ones worth the money are the hinged ones. The bolt on ones seem kinda worthless from what I have seen.

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i got one on my new pro plus. it was only $116, it is also supposed to make the main cutting edge last longer.
    i will find out this winter if it is worth it, but from everyone i talked to that runs them they say it is worth putting on.
    are you going to FDR hitches in Roselle park?
    Dean, Paul, and the installers are very good to deal with and will take care of you.

6. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I had one on a mid weight and it was useless
    I had some On a regular and was ok does help save cutting edge and then in pro plus was great and again helps slow wear on cutting edge

7. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

i told them to slap it on when i get my 8.5 Pro Plus on this friday. i went with traffic safety again since i already know what to expect.

8. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

What over priced service
    It's not their fault it's expensive up here

9. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I placed a bull order for all parts from dean worth the hour drive

10. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

they were only $300 more than FDR. and FDR is an unknown to me.

11. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I even have a guy in spring valley who is open 24 hours during snow right in 59 next to wide world of cars

12. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

I have a backdrag on my 8.5, and it significantly extended the life of the cutting edge, as you now have two surfaces to wear. It also allows the plow to sit / balance on flat ground much better.

depending on the type of snow you're dealing with, it adds significant improvement for clearing snow vs not having it. If it's a wet sloppy / icy / easily compacted snow, then it still doesn't clear everything down to pavement, but neither does the other edge by itself.

This pic was taken when it was newly installed back in December of 2012

[​IMG]

today.. Be aware that the "corners wear faster due to curved surfaces, meaning the center of both the cutting edges is "taller" than what you see in this pic. Yes, my cutting edges are a curved happy smile...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  13. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

they were $300 more than FDR because they need to make their markup on the plow they bought and had to pickup from FDR.