1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backdrag Blade Question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by AC2717, Nov 19, 2009.

1. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

My Father-in-law and me are getting ready to fabricate a backdrag for my fisher MM2 7.5'

I pretty much have the idea on how to build from other threads and research with photos setting it up by screwing to the mold board frame outermost frame piece on each side, which will be square tubing down to (welded to) a 3 inch backdrag with stops (against the bottom spring mounts) on the back so it will stay straight when being used, but i have some questions:

1) how should the blade "sit" when going forward - should it drag behind or be just short of the ground at a angle
    2) how do i get it to swing freely (use grade 8 bolts with hex nuts that have the nylon ring in them so they do not crank all the way down) or should it swing free at all?
    3) and this pertains to the two questions above: how do I operate it, just drop the blade and start reverse or do I have to drop, pick up slightly to catch the backdrag, then move in reverse.

Thank you very much, any ideas and photos are greatly appriciated, We are making this on Saturday
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

1) rests on the ground
    2) made mine mount on the pivot pins for the trip edge.
    If you drill through the rib which Ive seen many do you have to beef up the hole in the rib else the rib will wear and crack at the hole (Ive seen several do this)
    3) I usually drop the blade AS I back up.
  3. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Alright all confused, well sort of,
    so when going forward, let it drag, then I have the problem of how does it stop dragging when I back up?
    or just let it drag like when going forward at the same angle just backwards
  4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

why not just buy a backdrag edge and bolt it on? less than $100 and 15 minutes. just curious.
  5. nassa

nassa Junior Member

It has to swing freely for it to work properly, when you plow forward the blade will swing up, when plowing backwards you lift the plow and the blade should swing freely straight down, then you drop the plow and plow back makes a big difference
  6. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

kinda wanted to do something on our own and learn, but just wanted to know the answers to these questions to find out and maybe when we are int eh shop we can come up with a good idea
  7. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

just to be on the same page, a backdrag does not swing free of the cutting edge. it is rigid. bolted to the plow.
  8. kj330

kj330 Member

No Lead. on a fisher plow it has to swing. that is how it works.
  9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I think the one No Lead is talking about , bolts on beetween the cutting edge and the trip edge.

10. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

alot of good pictures in the fisher enginering thread... i just started making mine today...