1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backdrag Blade on Western Pro Plus

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Mattymax, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Mattymax

Mattymax Junior Member
    from Nj

Who has one? Who likes it ?
    I am thinking I need one. Just started in the plowing game and do a lot of back dragging with terrible results without.

Thanks
    Matt

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I had one on my wide-out. It seemed to make the main cutting edge last much longer because it was wearing on two edges rather than just one. I certainly makes backdragging better because the rear edge is at the correct angle to get under the snow and lift it. But keep in mind that you can't just put a backdrag edge on a used cutting edge or the main edge won't touch the ground. You need to put the backdrag edge on at the same time that you change you main one. It's the same as putting the rubber edges on the wings of a wide-out. If you put new wing edges on a blade with a worn main edge the only thing that touches the ground is the wings.

3. Bill1090

Bill1090 PlowSite Veteran

I have the Western one on my mid-weight. My next one will be one of the hinged ones. My current one seems to get packed with snow very easily. Other than that, it's a great feature to have.

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

I have the 8-6, and blackdrag blade I got from my local western dealer.

I like it a lot. Points mentioned above. Unless you weld your chain together, it won't have any down pressure other than the blade itself, but I'm okay with that...:D

5. 1978K20

1978K20 Junior Member

Homemade backdrag

I made mine. Used a piece of hard steel plate. I/2"X4"X6'. I cut vertical slots to allow up & down adjustment, and made hinges, to allow it to swing out of the way when plowing forward. Works good. This is on an old 7'6" straight blade western.Thumbs Up

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The Western OEM backdrag edge is better than nothing but clearly the hinged version is superior. Unfortunately you have to have the hinged version fabricated, I don't know anyone who sells them. With a hinged edge you don't need to worry about changing both cutting edges together because they operate independently. The backdrag just trails when moving forward and the front, main edge is lifted right off the ground when the backdrag drops into place.