1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backdrag blade on my western

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dogplow Dodge, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I'm picking up a western #66999 from my local supply house tomorrow. My blade is new (due to all of the snow I pushed last year), and I figured it would be a good time to install it.

http://www.snowplowsnj.com/Western_66999_812_ftBack_Drag_Edge/p394841_4384720.aspx

My question is.... Does the back drag edge have any "negative" effect on plowing forwards?

Can it cause problems plowing different surfaces, such as gravel, concrete or other ?

Since I've never had one on my plow, I'm looking forwards to how well they work, but also apprehensive about any potential issues plowing normally, if so.

Thanks !

2. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I guess I'll just have to find out for myself... Good night, fellas..

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  3. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

we've noticed no negative effects going forwards. the back drag edges have worked well and we've sold a lot of them since Western came out with them. You'll like it!

4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

We purchased a couple of used Westerns with back drag edges already on them. The issue we noticed with them, was that snow and ice built up between the two edges and, consequently, the entire plow wound up riding up on the frozen crap between the two edges... then it didn't plow well forward or backward. Personally, I feel that Western is the best back-dragging plow there is, just the way they are. We are primarily a residential plowing company, and clean back-dragging is important to us. We use Westerns pretty much exclusively, for their great back-dragging ability right out of the box. Just my opinion based on my own experiences.

5. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Thanks for the opinions, fellas.

I picked it up this morning, and I'm installing it today. Looking forwards towards using it... if it ever snows here again.

Since my plow is basically new, installing it or removing it won't be much of an issue, other than the time to do so. If I run into the issues mentioned above, I can always remove it in about an hour or so. I'm just hoping that this will clear driveways better than I've been able to do previously, as my western just seemed to compact the snow to the surface while backdragging.

We'll see how it goes.

6. devypower

devypower Junior Member

i had a set of these 2 seasons ago on my pro plow there were 2 down falls for me and it may not be the case for everyone but first was mentioned ice buildup not that big of an issue a 2 pound maul behind the seat and a few whacks no biggie, second was they seem to catch the seams in concrete and also they catch lids, man holes etc.. i do a few gas stations and need to back blade an area where they fill tanks and it would pull the lids off every time. so it was less than perfect for me but a great concept and would work awesome in a different are than mine. i use a snow way with down pressure on all lots and drives that require the use of a back blade IMO that is the only way to back blade

7. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Manholes !

Wow !

That's cool ! Thumbs Up

So it took me about an hour. Only thing I can say is that you should replace the nylock nuts that are on there, as once they're removed, they don't hold any longer. I just so happen to have 9 new 1/2" nylocks in my nut drawer....

While I had it apart, I FF'd the entire front / blade / backblade a second time. That FF is some cool stuff...although my clothes had to be immediately washed as my dogs where getting a little wild around me....:laughing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

From the limited pictures that looks like a nice Dodge.

To avoid catching the manhole covers or other things just angle the plow so you only catch a corner and not the entire thing with the blade straight.

One of my brokers had this setup on his truck and it works quite well, you should be pretty happy.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

After looking at your pictures again, put those shoes on Ebay and get rid of them.

10. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I raised them up as high as I could get them. I'm just keeping them on there for the weight, as they'll never touch ground again..Thumbs Up

11. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Here's a trick I was told by an old timer...

Drop the blade and inch forward a little to get the blade to go down down. Then you go into reverse and start backdragging. This technique works well especially in heavier wet snow that just wants to compact

12. devypower

devypower Junior Member

i want to clear up the manhole covers i referred to are the nylon ones that stick up an inch or so and cover gas fill tanks in the parking lot not the 75 pound cast iron ones like in the street, just too be clear. i think it is just the angle of the cutter just plucks them right out. sorry for any confusion. for most applications these work very well just not mine