1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BackDrag bar

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Spinman710, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Spinman710

Spinman710 Member

Does anyone have any pics of a back drag bar? I have a Fisher 8' HD and would like to buy/make one if I could...

Thanks

2. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Steve,

If you do a search on this site for Back Drag on a Fisher you will find complete diagrams and photo's of homemade models that those of us with Fishers have put on their plows. I was going to make my own last year and decided against it as the winter went on. I did find a company on Ebay who makes a back drag blade for Fisher Plows when I searched under snow plows last year. They wanted about $250 for the blade. I was going to buy it and decided to wait until this year. I haven't started working on my plow yet and cannot find the information I printed off from last year. I would do the search on the site, there are some good ones out there and don't appear to be that tough to fabricate.

3. Spinman710

Spinman710 Member

BJH,

Thanks for your reply...I did a search earlier, but must not have used the right key words. I just tried to do it now and it wasn't working for some reason, I'll try again later.

I can probably make it for less than 250, even if I design it. I'll post pics if/when I get a chance to get one/make one...

4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

There was a great one I remember from last year that guy had fabbed up. It was something along the lines of a 3/4" or 1" plate steel bar about 3-4 " tall and was spring mounted to the back side of the trip edge (or just above its range of motion perhaps). It would fold up around the back when the plow was moving forward and let the trip edge do the scraping, but would spring down to a positiion just forward of vertical so that the weights of the blade rested on it and would lock it in place for back dragging. He said it was very effective and would even do a good job of scraping curbs clean while keeping the plow itself off the curbing.

Keep searching and hopefully you'll come across it. He said it was a few hundred to have it fabbed up and installed and had been using it for awhile.

edit: grassmanvt is the guy i was thinking of. He mentions it in this thiread.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=42792&highlight=fisher+backdrag

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

6. Spinman710

Spinman710 Member

That's pretty bad-arss....I like that one...

7. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Hey Spin, I found an example I saved from this site for a Fisher

Spin,

I looked through my computer and found an example of a blade that you can fabricate yourself for you plow. I don't have the time to upload the files this website but I can email you a copy of the word document I created when I copied it from here. Please send me an email at bjhglass@aol.com and I will get you the file.

BJH Glass

8. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Here's one style. It swings freely and stops against the spring perches, and has no cutout notches in the top, solid all the way across.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  9. Spinman710

Spinman710 Member

I think that's the one I'm going to make (only due to my limited tooling, e.i. no plasma cutter)...I just found a 10 foot cutting edge on Craigslist, if it's still available I'll snag it and make this one...

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help and input.

10. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

I have one on my 8 footer that I am taking off. Its not as clever as those two designs. I will take some pics tomorrow.

11. Spinman710

Spinman710 Member

Looking forward to it...

what part of Mass are you in?

12. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

I'm in Pittsfield, way western MA, the Berkshires.

13. Spinman710

Spinman710 Member

Way Western is right...

Any pics of your bar yet?

14. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

15. Spinman710

Spinman710 Member

Thanks...good pics...I think I'll pass on it though. I found a cutting edge that I'm going to use. I want the edge to be replaceable in case I wear it down too far...