1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backblades lets see em'

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by FOX-SNO-REMOVAL, Nov 10, 2009.

1. FOX-SNO-REMOVAL

FOX-SNO-REMOVAL Senior Member

I really want to make a backblade for my quad this year. I have seen most of the pics that are on here but if anyone has any please post. I think I wanna go big and do something like the Ebling and Sno Kontrol rear blades. No one has done something like this to my knowledge, so i figured it would be cool to do a down sized version for an ATV or UTV. Im thinking like 5' when closed and have it open up to 10'. So there would be a 5' center blade and a 2'6" wing on either side. Im gonna do some drawings on the computer and will post em' when im done. Any input will be greatly appreciated! So tell me wht u guys think.:nod:

2. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

this is for an atv?????:eek:

3. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

would an ATV have enough traction for 10'??

4. FOX-SNO-REMOVAL

I have no idea thats why i posted it to see wht u guys thought I wanna go at least 8' I know I can push 6' no problem so i dont see why i cant pull at least 8'

5. SQuad

SQuad Member

Back Blade

I use mine for sidewalks and walkways. It was 60" to start but I reduced it to 48" not only for better maneuvering between posts and cars but for simply cleaning up the tire tracks I leave behind . The front blade is the workhorse, if you clear out what's in front of you, you'll get better traction. Pulling snow is harder. If you put a new driver with a wider blade you have to constantly remind them that their back end is wider than the ATV. Had a few close calls last winter with a new driver, he just couldn't grasp the concept of the wider back blade. He never caused any damage but it made me sick watching how close the blade came to causing damage. The new pivoting wings on each side to box in the snow makes all the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97wFYjRm2bs

My ATV 002.jpg

6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

you know an ebling weights around 800 lbs right???

Hope your good at driving on 2 wheels :D

7. FOX-SNO-REMOVAL

I sad i was making somthing like! lol Not buying one. Im pretty sure what i end up i building will not way 800lbs :dizzy:

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You will not pull 8' and probably not 6' either. Maybe if it's a really light snow. You just don't have the weight needed. You also need down pressure.

9. FOX-SNO-REMOVAL

I know i can pull 6' all day! As far as down pressure i was planning on using electric actuators. I was also gonna add weight plates to the front and rear to help with traction!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  10. pushin 4 u

pushin 4 u Member

here is my rig for this season. I too thought about a Ebling-type backblade for the RZR, but I'm going to see how this works and build from there. I was thinking about a 4ft backblade with two 3'-4' wings with one actuator to moove both wings...trying to keep it simple and lightweight. Here are some pics.

11. pushin 4 u

pushin 4 u Member

forgot the pics...:dizzy:

12. FOX-SNO-REMOVAL

Ya thats wht i was thinking! :DExcept i want a 5' center so it will clear the back tires when closed in the box position. I cant wait to see your pics! I should be done with a drawing of at least the blade tomorrow. I just havent decided on the overall length yet :confused:

13. pushin 4 u

pushin 4 u Member

pics 4 u of RZR

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  14. pushin 4 u

pushin 4 u Member

the rear markers are that angle so with the blade 6"-12" off the ground the markers will touch whatever I'm backing up to instead of the blade. Redneck engineering at it's finest!

15. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

the back blade looks narrower then the rear tires!

16. pushin 4 u

pushin 4 u Member

It is, i didn't want to put too much work into something that I will be changing in the spring. I also wanted to see if I could justify using a backblade and how much time it would save me. So if everything works with this backblade...then I go bigtime. The plow was leftover from my wheelhorse tractor that tanked on me this spring, so with some beers and some insight from my buddies we came up with this design in short time with not a whole lot of effort. This will also give me a better understanding of how well it will work on the sidewalks being 48". If i go bigger then it won't fit down alot of the sidewalks that I have. It's all about testing and fine tuning.

17. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

the blades look cool

18. tjslawnservice

tjslawnservice Junior Member

i can't see your pics pushin4u but i like the setup SQuad. My question is does it scrap good?

19. skamaniac

skamaniac Member

Where's the pics????

20. pushin 4 u

pushin 4 u Member

sorry boys...here they are

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010