1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backblade project

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by redhenny16, Nov 27, 2008.

1. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Here are some pictures of my backblade project. Putting it on my 2002 GMC 2500HD. I'm using both my fifth wheel hitch and reciever hitch to mount the backplow. I will post more pictures as I make progress.

DSCF3108.jpg

DSCF3109.jpg

DSCF3111.jpg

DSCF3113.jpg

DSCF3114.jpg

2. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Here is one more picture of the control switches mount after I finished welding it together.

DSCF3115.jpg

3. pitrack

pitrack Senior Member

That looks fun, post more once you get there.

4. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

Did you build all of that from scratch or is that some kind of kit?

5. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Very interesting. Keep the pics coming.

Jon

6. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

It's built from scratch, the only store bought items were the ball mount and the Reese fifth wheel hoops. It's my own design. I wanted a mount that would keep the hydraulic cylinder out of the snow. And I wanted to be able to tow a trailer without removing the plow and the mount. With this design I can just pull the four bar pins and the cylinder pin and the plow is off. The cylinder is a bucket cylinder for a New Holland skid steer. It has about a 24" stroke so the plow should lift at least 48" if needed. It has been a while since it was last mocked up, but I am finally going to finish it and put it to use.

7. plowdog

plowdog Member
    from MN

wow! Nice clean work, keep the pics coming.

8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

WOW that things built like a tank

9. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Are you doing the welding yourself?

10. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

Nice...

Very nice work....I'm building one also but base off of the reciever style hitch...are you going to run 12v motors or gas/hyd? I'm going to run a gas/hyd pump system based in the bed....I've going with wings on the side (fixed) to contain as much of the snow as I can. I mainly do residentials with my
    truck...

11. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Yes me and my buddy Arnie did all of the welding and fabricating.

12. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

Thats some really nice fabrication work!

13. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Here is a shot of the second trailer plug that I added to run the backplow controls and emergency lights.

DSCF3116.jpg

14. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Looks great so far, was it pretty easy to add the second trailer plug thing, I was going to do that because that what I run a backup light out of

15. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

I just welded a piece of angle iron to the factory trailer plug mount (which I cut off a bent hitch) and bolted it to the bottom of the bumper. You will need a connector that plugs into the GM trailer plug though. Either get a used one or the GM part number for a new connector with repair harness wires is 15306164.

16. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

The reason I asked if it was a kit is everything is already painted. Looks like powder coat also?

When I'm fabbing new projects, everything is built first then painted last. Looks like there's more building still.

Looks like they were cut in a machine shop or using CNC. Very nice work.....

Can't wait for more pics.

17. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

sweet stuff!
    keep adding the pics as you finish this project please.

18. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Thanks for the compliments. It's mostly done and most of the trial fitting is also done. The paint is just a matt black rattle can job with some good primer underneath. The only parts cut in a machine shop were the big plates used in building the upper cylinder mount. And that was just done with a good band saw. The big pins were made by my buddy on a lathe. Everything else was cut out by hand with a torch and or alot of grinding. I will try and post the four link bars soon as they are done. I'm trying to get all the wiring figured out now.

19. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

More pictures of the four link bars in place.

IMG_4404.jpg

IMG_4405.jpg

IMG_4406.jpg

20. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Installed a GM connector on my plow controls harness today. I used 16-4 cable from Lowes. It's weatherproof and running two cables next to each other gives you eight wires to work with and makes for a nice neat install. The GM connector (part #15306164) comes with wire pigtails already installed, but I chose to crimp and solder new Packard terminals onto my 16-4 cables. One less connection to corrode and looks cleaner too. When finished the new harness simply plugs into the GM trailer receptical (part #12191503) and makes for a nice weathertight , factory like install.

IMG_4408.jpg

IMG_4407.jpg

IMG_4409.jpg

IMG_4410.jpg