1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

backblade electrical issues

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by deverslawn, Jan 2, 2010.

1. deverslawn

deverslawn Junior Member

Ive recently been experiencing some problems with my backblade running when i dont flip the switch. It likes to get stuck putting down pressure on the blade. It will run until i disconnect the ground or the hot from the battery. earlier this morning it got stuck down and ran the pump until i could get the ground off and the pump was smoking. Ihave no. 4 wire running from the battery to the bed of the truck as the hot wire and the pump is grounded to the box what could the problem be?????????????:dizzy:
  2. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

there must be a solenoid getting stuck open. Replace the solenoid wire going to the pump. Take a test light while some one is intermittently toggling the down switch. When they release it, the power should be cut going to the pump. Then remove the wire that comes from the down switch to the solenoid. Toggle down switch and make sure the power is cut. If it is your relay is bad.

What kind of pull plow is it?
  3. deverslawn

deverslawn Junior Member

Its a homemade job. I bought the pump and built the blade. Just having alot of issues getting the bugs worked out of it! Im not real good with electrical stuff soo im trying to figure it all out.
  4. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I meant remove the wire going from the pump to the solenoid.
    I assume the solenoid is a standard automotive type?

Post some pictures of it if u get time. Get some close ups of the pump to so I can get an idea of what we're working with.

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i say loose battery cable, making for low voltage. that will stick the solenoid. you should have a resetable 150 amp breaker at the battery just for this.