1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back up truck?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Burkartsplow, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

2. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

its got a 7.3 that makes a great backup truck. with that mileage it just getting broke in
    oh and that place is not far from me

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  3. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Looks Good To Me, Just Needs A Blade And Your Ready To Go. Ill Bet That You Would Like It More Than Your Chevy. Ask Them Maybe They Would Give You An Even Trade For That 2500HD! :jester: JK Looks Good

4. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

as he said back up truck

5. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

That would make a GREAT work truck. :D

6. Craaaig

Craaaig Senior Member

great truck, go for it

7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Id use that over the 2500 HD being a diesel and such

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

well if i do get it i want to put an 8.5 or 9.5 mvp plus on it with wings and i would most likely use the 2500 hd as a back up since it has a lot less miles on it 40K. do you think the 9.5 would weigh to much being it is a diesel. I would then put a truckcraft aluminum dump in the back, then add the deicer next season and go to town. To me it sounds like a plan.:redbounce someone said those are high miles but it is a diesel right.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't worry about those miles at all. I've got 2 friends with 99 7.3s, one is pushing 200k and the other is 230k or something. Don't remember ever hearing about them having any big problems.

10. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

go for it Burkart

11. Kunker

Kunker Member

Backup? Hell, I'm looking at an 02 SC for my main truck. Awesome truck and you certainly won't regret it.

12. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Looks like a good truck- check it over good. Or better yet, take it to your mechanic and have him go thru it. You're gonna love the diesel. Just picked up a 96 myself; tons of power and 17mpg around town, 23 highway (3:55 's). Don't worry about the miles if it was maintenanced, the 7.3's run forever. Mine just turned 219K and it purrs like a big cat. Good luck.

13. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

My 99 has 110,000 on it and the thing is still like a new truck. Not posting mileage cus i'll get BS flags but it gets awesome mileage. I was always a chevy guy but my last truck and this truck have been great to me. Only thing you need to know about 7.3's is carry an extra cam position sensor with you as they konk out time to time. Throw a cold air intake and exhaust on it and you'll get better mileage.

And at most you might have to throw some helper springs or air bags on the front. Mine sat really low in the front (looked like a 2wd) so i threw HD helper springs on it and it leveled, now it drops maybe 1/2" only with my meyer.

14. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Great truck, just check the oil pan really good.

15. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

Got a 250 exactly like it right down to the mileage. (136000) 9-2 boss poly. Bought it new. Only complaint is the factory front end brakes, rotors, ball joints, etc. were junk. Seems like a good price. Good luck with it.

16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

O ya, don't forget to check the oilpan for rust also.

17. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I want it....I'd love another 7.3 especially a back up single cab

18. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Check the oil pan for rust spots. The Fuel tanks have had a de-lamination problem and its an expensive repair. As long as the tranny and front end is good, I'd go for it. Those 4R100's haven't been known to be the greatest but with a few special parts, they can be re-built to be bullet proof.

19. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

I would make the Ford the work truck, and keep the Chevy as a nice long lasting daily driver. As we all know a plow will kick the crap out of any truck, so you should use it on the beast and keep the nice truck for on-road work. That's my opinion. By the way, the diesel will make a great snow pusher.

20. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

oh yea don't forget to beef up cooling on the tranny. And sunnex valve and tricummulator springs do wonders for keeping it cool and correcting the line pressure.