1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by YardMedic, Dec 7, 2008.

1. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Finally got a backup truck & plow ready to go. Bought a 2005 Tahoe as a personal vehicle last season with the intention of installing the 7.5' Fisher as a backup, certainly not a primary truck but definitely for my own driveway and should the work truck crap out for whatever reason. MCW is gonna have to help me with photos, or I'll snap a couple soon. Mike did the install -- a fantastic job! More than that, he added in some heavier torsion bars for the increased front end weight.

I must admit, the last couple days have had me thinking a whole different way for the future: spare truck (supervisor/management truck, if you will) to run around & hit cleanups here or there while someone is in my truck permanently. The whole "multiple trucks" thing has begun, and I'm thinking I like the concept with all of the benefits it brings.

Photos on the way!

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

sounds good. ill be waiting for pics

3. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Ill second that...

4. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

lets see them

5. YardMedic

I know everyone -- some threads are pointless without photos! By morning for sure, ok?

6. JDT

JDT Member

Local 1153 is Laconia. I know a medic on Laconia........are you working tonight?

7. shepoutside

shepoutside Member

8. YardMedic

Not working tonight, but who do you know?

9. JDT

JDT Member

I'll send ya a private message not to display names on the board.

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Here are the pics of the install! =]

On the torsion bars, we found that the bars out of the GM pickups and full size SUV's are longer than the ones that were in the Tahoe. So, instead of giving up, we did some fabrication work and moved the support bracket back to accomodate the heavier bars! Worked great! With the old bars the front end dropped almost 3 inches and looked extremely unsafe! The new ones, it drops only about 3/4 of an inch and is a lot stronger than before!

In the pic of the push plate, i'm not sure why it looks like its on an angle, but it really isn't lol. We cut the valance really close to the push plate, it was even better on the other side!

-mike-

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

11. mcwlandscaping

And the final product! The thing plowed great even in two wheel drive! I'm very impressed with this vehicle!

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

12. YardMedic

And there ya have it! I couldn't get my camera to work this morning anyway, so Mike's step-by-step footage helped. Even looks like he got an after-action shot!

13. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

It looks like it handles the weight pretty well..........

14. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

looks great. Instead of a backup or supervisor truck, that could just be truck #2. Pick up a few more small resi's and let the plow pay for itself.

15. mcwlandscaping

I already miss having this truck to drive around! It rode so nice compared to my truck and my friends diesel..even after the t-bars were done!

16. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

Supervisor truck today, work truck tomorrow. Been there