1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Up Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HOLLYWOOD, Dec 8, 2003.

HOLLYWOOD Member

How many of you, one man crews have a back up truck? I don't mean someone who will help you if your trucks down. I mean your own backup truck.

Every year I get nerves and think I should have one
  2. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

I'm in the process of buying one right now. I have had to borrow a truck in the past but it is a pain. I have a Superduty with about 50,000 miles on it and sooner or later something is gonna give (besides the tranny...)

HOLLYWOOD Member

SDLAWN What are you looking to buy ?

Iv'e been looking for an f150 since it would just be a back up .
  4. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Probably a chevy 1/2 ton. They're common and seem to hold up pretty well. I'd buy a 3/4 or 1 ton but for around $2,000 the choices are slim.
  5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Im using the backup our new truck doesnt have a plow installed yet :rolleyes:
  6. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

I had a power steering sector take a dump last year. I figured I would just strong-arm it back to my shop, but I didn't realize the same system controlled the brakes too! Since I had lost all the fluid the only way I had to stop the truck was by dropping the plow...I wouldn't recommend it. The only good part was that I was only about three pushes away from being done with my last customer's lot.
    This year I have an additional truck similarly set up to use the same plow. Although I haven't got it figured out yet how I'm going to get home and get it if I need it...? There are certain disadvantages to being a 'one-man show'--that's for sure--but I feel they are outweighed by the good things.
    In a nutshell, all other things being equal, it's generally good to have a spare truck (or at least a plan "B") in my opinion. I think it might be a good way to lose customers if you don't.
  7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

get a back up truck. the 2001 chevy we plow with broke down just 2 days before this big snow storm we had. had to barrow a friends truck. a back-up truck is always a must