1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up spot lights?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by theguynextdoor, Oct 3, 2007.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I have a long truck, and i want to get some bright spot lights on the back so i can see better. Is there a such thing that can go on the hitch receiver? Something magnetic to put next to my strobe on the cab would be good. I can't buy a backrack right now and i don't want to drill into my cab. Where could i mount them, maybe on the bed edges?

Also, what kind and where could i get them. Do you guys have them rigged so they come on when you're in reverse or have a switch? I think i might prefer a switch so i can have them on if im in park.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Ive seen guys mount them on the rails and under the bumper. I personally love them mounted on the back rack. I have 2 55watters on the back rack and im going to add 2 100 watters under the bumper.

3. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

You can buy lights that mount around your receiver hitch. White Knights is what they are called I think. Try WhiteKnigts.com. They are kind of pricy I think. I mounted some real bright driving lights under my bumper last year. Ran the wire to the reverse lights. It works awsome. If you can only put on one set, hook them up to the reverse lights. If you can go with two sets, put the second set on your back rack and hook them to a switch. I think my lights cost me 40 or 50 bucks at the walmart.
  4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Get the KC reverse lights. A little spendy, but well worth it imo. I've had mine for 2 years now without a problem.
  5. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

The problem with mounting them on the receiver is that if you are running a receiver spreader that takes the spot. I put a set of trailer tail/brake lights on my spreader and so with that setup my work lights will either hang from under the bumper or off of the spreader. If the spreader, then a simple plug up to connect disconnect will be in place.

6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

thanks. i was thinking of them.
    where to put them? i dont want them under the bumper. im afraid they might get hit or i might bottom out the back or hit with the boat trailer hitch. i dont want them on the receiver. wont do me much good when im pulling the boat out of the water at night if i have to take them off to haul the boat. could put them on the outside edges of the bumper out of the way of the tailgate. course then i will be drilling holes. hmm. could just not buy any......
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

When I had my Dodge I mounted them in the stake pockets. I mounted them on a piece of wood and slid them in the stake pockets. I had them on a 2 prong trailer hitch so I could put them on and off in a minute. Not the best looking but I only used them to plow.
  8. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Thats exactly what I was going to suggest.
  9. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Mine are mounted to the bumper bolts underneath. They come with the brackets to mount them there. I haven't had a problem with them breaking yet. I've backed in to some piles too lol. One bracket got a little bent, but I just straightened it, never broke a light. As for the boat, they're up enough that they wont be anywhere near the water, or at least shouldn't be. When I launch my boat my rear tires are hardly in the water.
  10. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I just got my Whitenight mounted. I love it!!! I especially like that I can turn it on and use it as a work at a flip of a switch. For $77 brand new, I can't imagine anythingelse being easier to hook up and use.

Here is website.

11. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

$90 for just the light - add on the $10 no-splice power connection and (i assume) S&H and you're well over $100.

$100+ would buy me a lot of Hella tractor lamps! (wire, relays & switches too!)

Edit: I am talking about that WhiteKnight thing......
  12. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I bought cheap rubber housing tractor lights and mounted them in the stake pockets. Get those stake pocket tiedowns with the expanding rubber block, replace the loop with a regular bolt, either run the wires from the backup lights or add another circuit and switch. I used only one on the driver's side for years, but am going with two on my new truck this year.
  13. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Great idea on the stake pocket tie downs. I was just about to do the install.
  14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Wholy resurrect a dead thread!!!

Actually- I tried the under the bumper additional lights and went to just a set of halogen back up bulbs- 55 watts in 1157 base is all the light I need.
  15. peterng

peterng Senior Member

never heard the likes, another great tip. Might do that for my other truck as I just got done welding the stake pockets light mounts up earlier tonight :)
  16. 01lariat

01lariat Member

I made a receiver mount deal today. Pretty cheap to make. I looked around for bright lights that where very small. The smallest ones were at Wal-mart. $20 and change w/tax. Took them home and found everything I needed. A scrap piece of square tube, an old 7to 6 prong plug, and a old receiver hitch.

I took the receiver and chopped off the hitch

cut off a 16" piece of square tube and welded it to the receiver end.

measured up the lights and drilled holes for mounting, and cut out opening for the lights.

cleaned up the edges and used a piece of vacuum house for trim around the light openings.

Took the broken plug apart, rewired it for reverse lights only, and wired the two 55watt lights into it.

Shot my light unit with some paint and added a non slip grip tape to the top of it.

Put it into my receiver and plugged it in to the receptacle.

The darn thing works awesome! them little lights are really bright and well protected mounted inside the square tubing. I didn't have enough material, but I think for next year I'll build a contoured bumper protector the full length of the bumper with a lighting system in place. My bumper is already buggered up some so it doesn't matter now. When I get a new one I'll protect it better. I didn't have my camera on me in the shop so I'll have to wait to get a day light pic of it, but here it is all lit up at night. One is shot from the cab and one is a shot off to the side looking at it. Pretty bright, pretty cheap, and it sure didn't take long to build.

Btw I see my date stamp is off on my camera. Nope we didn't miss Christmas.

Trk and plow 008.jpg

Trk and plow 009.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  17. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Here's the tally. I welded up a 1.5" X1.5" x 1.5" (open in the back). 8" stub to go into the stake pocket. welded a nut onto the side of it, drilled a hole in the inside of the box for a set screw. mounted a ground to the 8" stub into a 2prong trailer adapter. One light L&R rear (2 lights total).

3 way switch in the cab fed by the backuplights and ignition. off to a bosch relay. halogen utility buls $8 each.

switches, lotsa wire, relay, connectors etc. total bill around $60 probably. Plus you know what you've got and how to fix it if there are any problems.

I have no time at all but some things I'll take on as a matter of principle.
    Thanks to Dissasociative especially,