1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back-up sno-blowers

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Tom c., Dec 8, 2006.

1. Tom c.

Tom c. Member

Hey sno bro's How many of you keep a back up blower ? Im a small operation 1 truck 1blower some shovels etc. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to keep a spare blower or if mine breaks just go get another ? Or My blower is a MTD should this be the backup and go out and look into getting a Ariens or something equivelant? Thanks for any feedback!!:eek:
  2. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I replaced my snow blower this year. Gave the old one away. I do not have a back up.......I can borrow one or shovel if my new Toro Powerlite goes down...... Although I don't expect that....

I replaced an MTD 3.5 hp ....it was 10 years old and never failed me......
  3. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Those MTD's run forever, don't they!? Mine finally kicked the bucket last week, but I found out yesterday that it'll live once again :D

I am considering buying one for a back-up as well. I was going to use my MTD as the back-up, but I found out that something in a comparable category would run me around $1000 and I don't really want to spend that right now if I don't have to.
  4. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

dont have one....i throw a good ol shovel in the back...almost bought one this year but if u work hard enough with a shovel u can get it done....what kinda work are u doing with it???
  5. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

When I ran a blower /truck op way back when I carried three blowers. A JD Trs21 A Toro CCR, and this old style paddle type with a vane....cant remember who made it but it was red and had a 6 horse two stroke I used to bust up ice. Thing was a beast.

But yeah.....having a spare is a great idea.

Im a big toro ccr fan....you couldnt give me an mtd.

Well...you could....but Id sell it to someone else.

6. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

By the way....I never liked the JD TRS21....Snow always got stuck in the chute. This was in the early nineties....hopefully they got that figured out by now.
  7. Tom c.

Tom c. Member

8. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

well if u have long walks i would get a toro i know for a fact the hondas are junk and not worth the money...but i like the ccr's the comapny i plowed for a few years back had them...they worked good...plus not to heavy to be liftin and throwin in the back of the truck...good luck
  9. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

The hondas are junk? I think they are worth every penny the little one (HS35) we have is great for 3 or 4" on paved driveways and sidewalks it beats shoveling any day. The big (HS924) could go through a mountain I have to say honda might have the best snowblowers you can buy. But that is just my opinion take from it what you want!

10. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

a buddy of mine spent well over 2 grand in honda snowblowers and they all broke in one storm....we got a 17in storm....he did driveways and i had to come bail him out with my plow i did 10-15 of his driveways
  11. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

2 just in case

I have a MTD and a JD 320