1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up sensor

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HGT INC., Feb 21, 2009.

1. HGT INC.

HGT INC. Senior Member
    from MI.

Can anyone help me with obtaining a back up sensor. I'm not talking about a back up alarm, but a inside the cab unit that will warn you when your truck is within inches of an object. My 08 Chevy has one which was standard equipment and it has a series of small lights that flash and also emits a beeping sound the closer that you approach an object. Thanks everyone, Jerry.
  2. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

post a picture of it
  3. HGT INC.

HGT INC. Senior Member
    from MI.

Hi Chris,
    The sensor in my 08 Chevy is built into the rear bumper system, all you see is a few dimples about the size of a dime. The warning lights and the alarm are built into the right rear plastic pillar that you would see if you looked over your right shoulder. A guy posted a thread on this site of the damage he received after backing into a pole. Another person suggested that he install a back up sensor (alarm) to help prevent this accident from happening again So far I have been unable to find anything like this. Thanks, Jerry.
  4. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

my car has that too...i wish there was one on the front for some tight parking lot situations!
  5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

search for radar proximity motion sensor, vehicle proximity alarm, backup proximity alarm, etc.

Here's one hit.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  6. HGT INC.

HGT INC. Senior Member
    from MI.

Thanks everyone for the replies, Jerry
  7. MattyK

MattyK Senior Member
    from Boston

8. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

You'll grow to hate it unless there is a way to completely turn it off when you're plowing. My f-250 has it, but it only turns off for the one cycle of the gear selector. For example: you put the truck in reverse and hit the "off" button, then put the truck in drive, park etc. it re-activates the sensor system. And if there is any build up of snow on the sensor heads it'll be going off constantly. It was such a nuisance that I disabled the system by unhooking all of the sensors. Do a search in the repair sections here, you should find threads in there about this topic.
  9. MightySal

MightySal Junior Member

10. MattyK

MattyK Senior Member
    from Boston

Is there a way to wire in an on/off switch to the positive cable?