1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back-up plow truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FordFisherman, Nov 10, 2008.

1. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I currently have 30 resis and 2 commercial lots. Trying to convince myself into buying a backup plow truck. I have a buddy who can bail me out should my primary break down (knock wood no significant lost time in 15 yrs), but I'd probably sleep better knowing that the backup truck is mine and ready to go. Anybody else been thru this? Just trying to justify the purchase, even though it may not be needed.

2. slone

slone Senior Member

I know where your coming from. I have a back up truck i can use but, no plow. If i buy a new meyers i am looking at $4500. Hard to justify spending that on a system i may not use. A couple local people in my area have some used plow systems for $2000. To get everything mounted up another $500. Just not sure which way to go. My buddies tell me they can cover me in a pinch. Alot of money to spend on something and may never use it.

3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i know im a lot bigger and do straight commercial lots but i always have back equipment. i have a back up 4 ton salter; 1 pick-up; and 2 loaders. now i also normally run 6 pick-ups, 9 loaders/tractors, 2 skidsteers and 3 salt trucks but still the point being, you never can have enough backup equipment and you can never be too prepared.

4. FordFisherman

from 06611

Apologize for the topic re-post; looks like this is a pretty common dilemma.

5. lumps

lumps Senior Member

If you can afford it, definitely buy a backup. The thing a lot of people don't realize is that it doesn't have to be anything great, and certainly doesn't need a brand new $4,500 blade on it. Heck, my main truck has a blade (Western Pro 8') I bought used for $1,000. Easiest way is to shop your local classifieds/Craigslist/etc and find an older truck with a plow already on it. Sure, it could be kinda beat, and I don't think I'd buy a used plow truck for my main rig, but you can find them cheap, and it'll be good enough to get you out of a pinch.

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

What makes you feel as though you need a backup when your main vehicle is a 2004?

7. slone

slone Senior Member

Well i thought about having a mount and wireing harness put on the backup truck. That way if the truck went down i could just put the plow on. But if the plow goes down it wouldn't make any difference. My main truck is 2500hd silverado pickup and my backup truck would be my 2007 3500 dumptruck.

8. FordFisherman

from 06611

I've asked myself the same question....the 2004 just turned 82K and I maintenance the s#$% out of it but the thought of that 2am breakdown and the lots not being cleared for first shift is in the back of my mind.

9. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Definitely have a back up. WHEN the time comes it will be more than justified. You will thank yourself.....you can never be too prepared. Forget about the fact that your primary is either new or old, they all break.

10. slone

slone Senior Member

The only other thing i have heehawed around about is to stay with the same system on a backup truck or not. I have a meyers md2 on my 2004 2500hd. A local plow shop will put a used curtis on for $2000. Some days i think stay the same others i think try something different. No easy answer

11. daltonblizzard

daltonblizzard Junior Member

A friend in time of need is a friend indeed. If you have a friend w/ a plow to lean on when needed it may save you some of your hard earned $$

12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Well said, very true. Get a friend.

What if you don't have one?

13. FordFisherman

from 06611

A second truck also brings expansion possibilities which carries its own positves and negatives. Still trying to convince myself....

14. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Redundancy is the word of the day. Having friends doesn't cost anything (well, beer now & then!). However, a backup truck puts YOU in the driver's seat, so to speak. Have a backup plan. Have a backup plan FOR your backup plan. Primary truck, backup truck, backup friend. Beyond that, you're really having a bad day!

15. jcos

jcos Junior Member

Just remember, your friend will bail you out after he is finished with his own jobs, and if it's 7 a.m. and your lots are not plowed you might lose your accounts. I 'd get yourself a back up. Been there.
    just my thoughts

16. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

been there done that. plow truck broke had to shovel a few resi. and then end of the season is broke again(frame rusted threw) had to break out the shovel again.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  17. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

you know how many newer pick ups i've seen broke down while plowing!!! plenty , it doesn't matter if it's a 08 or a 78 stuff can still break. the newest plow truck i have is a 95 the oldest is a 88. all my trucks are reliable, i am anal about pre winter maintennance and up keep, if it looks like it may need fixed or repaired, if there's a doubt replace it or repair it, then there's no doubt. i have back up alternators, pumps, hydraulic hoses, misc solenoids and switches and stuff that may go wrong and have it on the shelf in my shop. if something were to break i have a back up plow truck to jump into and finish out the job, while the broke truck sits in the shop and thaws out til my mechanic comes and gets it fixed. good idea to have a back up truck.

18. FordFisherman

from 06611

Appreciate the input. Friday might be the day. If I get it I'll post pics.

19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think you may have to look at it another way. If you break down and lose accounts will it add up to what a backup truck would cost? Also you can get a bad name real fast in this business word gets around that you don't have backups or reliable equipment.I finally bought myself a backup truck I work hard to get my name out so I don't like to let people down. And yes I had a tranny go a day before a big snow and I had to beg and borrow a truck to get my stuff done.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  20. FordFisherman

from 06611

I totally agree GV; think I'm gonna bite the bullet....BTW Love the avatar... ouch!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008