1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up plow truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by College Cuts LC, May 1, 2012.

1. College Cuts LC

College Cuts LC Junior Member

I have not gotten into plowing yet but I am looking to do so in a couple years or so and I am told I need to have a backup truck and plow if I am going to do it commercially. My question is, when having a backup truck do you need to pay insurance on it year round as well as city stickers and plate stickers?
    I know it is a smart idea to have a backup I am just not sure I can justify paying the insurance on a truck that is probably just going to sit in my garage the whole year.
    I have a lawn care business with 15 accounts, so I can't justify using 2 trucks for lawn care either so I am kind of at a loss.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Call your agent,if it's paid for you can drop it ,as long as you turn the plates in. But you might have to re-register every year and that will cost money.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You will pay fines for not plating it on time. At least in Indiana you do .
  4. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Having a back up does not necessarily mean you need to have two trucks. Look into establishing a relationship with another plower. When he breaks down, he calls you to finish his accounts and the same if your in need. Start networking. It might provide more work for you and a fail safe in case you breakdown mid storm. Choose reliable people, with modern equipment.

On the other hand, if your commercial accounts are large and/or time sensitive, get a 2nd truck. All the best.
  5. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

Hello. IL resident here. I have several vehicles. My insurance agent has all of them on file. I am driving one and I have three parked right now. I am only paying "full" insurance on the one I am driving. I am selling one that is parked. Anytime I go for a test drive all I do is call my insurance agents office line. As long as I talk to someone or leave a voice mail mentioning that I need it back on, they will put it on for the day. With your situation, you would be able to call the insurance agent when you need your back up (anytime of the day/night) and put it on the insurance. Plate stickers will run $100 or $200 depending on the plate. You cannot get around that. City stickers is at your own risk. Hope this helps. I got a great insurance guy if you need one Thumbs Up
  6. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I was about to say the same thing. Its the best thing you can do especially when starting out! Thats what I did, and my dad did. I know at least 2 guys that if anything happens we all can help each other out.
  7. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

^ what he said. I only have one truck but if need be I can call a buddy of mine. And the same for him. If he needs me.
  8. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

A back up plow truck is smart in case of break downs but it is unnecessary, especially if its just going to sit all winter and not be used. Just take care of the truck you plow with and you'll be fine. Wash your truck and plow after every storm. If you are friends with someone that has a plow truck as him to take of your accounts in case of a break down. That is what I do.