1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up plan/guy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by PTTP08, Nov 29, 2010.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Hello I am kinda new to the biz I have been plowing now for 3 seasons I have very few of my own properties I do some subbing also. My question is this for the smaller one truck operation peeps. What kinda of plan do you have when your truck breaks down and you can't plow your OWN properties or your on vacation etc. Do you go to craigslist and find a local dude to pay by the hour and just have a standing agreement? I am looking for some ideas as I had to fire my back up plan he just was not RELIABLE !

Thanks again
  2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I certainly wouldn't seek help from craigslist plowers...
    Best thing is make friends with fellow competition and see if they can cover you if something arises...
    I've plowed for 3 seasons and 1 time I need assistance, having someone to cover you is good business sense..
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have many trucks, and I have a back plan in place. You can never be to carefull, and the customer is always right. One stupid question for you though, who take vacation during plow season?? Anyhow, I have a couple different guys from different companies that will cover me if something breaks. I also have a back up truck of my own, that is only used when needed, so as I said before, keep your customers happy, and get it figured out sooner rather than later. PS Stay away from Craigslist guys, unless they can show you insurance, and are willing to sign a contract to repair anything they screw up while plowing your route. I go one step further and have them name me and my company as additionaly insured on their ploicies.
  4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

As the other 2 have said, network with some other local guys. You don't list where in MN you are, but around the metro there's a good handful of good guys around.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

check with local guys
    run from CL
  6. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

Like others have said I am on good terms with other plow guys in my area. I got thier back and they have mine. I'm careful when bidding on contracts to not take any accounts they have. That will burn a friendship quick.
  7. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Elk River area any takers? If so give me a PM message.I like the idea of the contract and insurance. You have to cover your a@# these days it is not like when my old man used to plow. Everything was on a good word and a firm hand shake.
  8. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I'm a one man band now, but I have one buddy that can cover for me who has a decent truck and plow (I'll call him in to help out on big storms if I need to as well). I have another buddy who has plenty of experience and can jump in my truck and plow if I'm sick or have to go out of town. I also have a 3rd buddy that runs a lawn and snow company and they have 6 trucks and two loaders so they'd be able to help out some as well if the poo hits the fan.

I'd find some other guys you can call on if you need them. I'd help out, but I have a pretty full route already, and Elk River is too far for me being in St. Paul.
  9. bob00

bob00 Senior Member

i got 2 well maintain working truck for 9 account
    i got my regular guy myself my cosin and my oncle who also own his own plow truck
    to cover my ass

if evrything is agains me i have 2 rental place near me that rent backhoe for 500$ a day fuel and insurance include ( mmm plowing resi drive with a 416 cat :laughing: sound like overkil )

and if none of the above works i sitll have some good old shovel and myself
  10. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Good luck getting a rental the day of a good storm.